Newbie saying hi, and looking for advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I highly recommend considering a www.UTDscubadiving.com instructor for your training, such as:
Jeff Christiansen divecentral@hotmail.com from Seattle Aquarium
Brian Weiderspan F K D
Joel Hollander j.hollander@seattleaquarium.org
Jeanna Edgerton edge@utdscubadiving.com

For a non-UTD option, I highly recommend our own SB member Kosta Koeman @wetb4igetinthewater

Any of these instructors can help you with picking gear properly - so I would wait to buy until you talk to one of these professionals. They may be a bit more expensive, but I promise they will be worth every penny of it. If you end up finding one of these professional's courses to be less than top shelf quality after taking it, I will personally send you $100.

Cheers and good luck

For the love of God, don’t buy whatever you LDS tells you. Some dive shops can be extremely pushy and may “tell” you to buy brand “x” or brand “y”. Don’t listen to them and take your business somewhere else if this happens. They have certain items they want to sell, to get more stock from that brand etc. And remember, not all brands are created equally, generally the more expensive it is, the better it is, but of course this is definitely not always the way. Research before you buy gear, and research well. Drysuit is a must for where you are, get good drysuit training.

You may have liked warm water tropical diving but equally when you get into it, cold water diving can be just as inviting, if not more. Good luck with the sport and be safe!

Hello,

My name is Mike.

My wife and I just got back from Mexico and we did our first two discovery dives with Dressel Divers down by Playa del Carmen, and we loved it, and would like some advice about getting into this awesome sport.

I would like to ask you experienced divers some questions about getting started.

Any help with the following questions would be greatly appreciated, and they are as follows......

1. Where would be the best place to get certified in the lower mainland of BC as we live in Langley.

2. What would the best way to aquire equipment as I would have to buy two sets of gear?

3. For buying the mask, snorkel, and fins, what are the best value for us as we do not want to buy something that we may grow out of.

If there is any other advice you might have I would appreciate that too!

Any way, thanks for your time and feedback.
Hey I live in Langley also. New to dive doing my open water nov 30th. Dec 1 and 2. Private through the dive locker. I don’t drive. Ans with there program all transportation is covered. And so are there fun dives. But lots of good shops in Vancouver. There a great one in south surrey that has high praise. I would of gone with them if they included transportation. Message me if u want to meet up talk about blowing bubbles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom