Poll Drysuit Socks Or Attached Boots

What Drysuit foot do you recommend, Sock or Attached Boot

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ZeroG

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm about to buy a drysuit and I've the pros a cons for each. This might help me and others decide.
By sock I mean neoprene sock with some sort of unattached boot i.e. rock boot.

Attached Trilam/cloth sock, easy to stay in and out of rock boots.

I’ve had attached boots(you are SOL if they don’t fit or your want to sell). Attached neoprene socks were hard to get in and out of my rock boots.

I have two suits with socks and one with boots. I vastly prefer socks, in part because I have wide feet and the boots can be tightened or loosened to fit. Most importantly, the boots have no tendency to push the fins off my feet if I get a lot of air in my legs for any reason.

That said, this is sports equipment, and what works for me might not be the best choice for you. I had no clue how much I'd prefer socks and boots until the first time I tried them.

I switched to attached boots in part because it simplifies and speeds up donning the suit. I was fortunate that the boots fit me fine. (DUI Yukon)

I've never had issues with boots not fitting, but the suits I've used allowed you to order from a limited set of boot sizes. I like the simplicity, and the fact that I had a rugged "seal" at the ankles with the attached boots.

The boots I have on my APollo are solid: They're not going to expand or contract much due to air moving around. They're also pretty tough. And, in a pinch, they can be replaced.

I have only had attached boots on my DUI TLS, I like them but am wanting to try sock with donned boots. I do get a little floaty feet feeling if I get inverted to take a photo or to peer in to an opening, but easily manageable with the boots attached. Do use fin keepers to take up some of the air space. I like the fact that I am not going to forget my boot or lose it. I almost did have them changed when I sent my suit in for upgrade to zip seals. Pro's and con's I suppose with every choice typically.

After owning and using both I much prefer attached boots. It's easier and more comfortable IMO.

funny how there is no good answer!
personally i prefer socks as it allows me to wear thin understocks for warm water and extra thick for cold water. you just change the booties (or canvas-plastic shoes from your nearest supermarket:)) size.
attached socks are also good for drying...
so at the end, it seems that both solutions are just fine :)

I often dive in rough conditions in places with lots of oysters. So my drysuit gets punctured often. Fixing a hole takes me 10-15 minutes, but I need to take my drysuit inside out for this. This is much more easy with socks.

Sometimes I have to climb down the rocks to the shore with doubles on my back and 20lbs of weights, rock boots are more stable in that situation. As said, it depends on your situation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom