Poll Drysuit Socks Or Attached Boots

What Drysuit foot do you recommend, Sock or Attached Boot

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Started with the old DUI "turbo" sole which is like a sock with a minimal rubber sole on the bottom only. I tried that a few times using different techniques and fins then decided to have full boots attached. I went to DRIS in person and selected a boot - I ended up with the USIA Ultimate Replacement Drysuit Boot. This boot fits and performs exactly how I wanted it to. I can walk to the entry point no problem. They are warm. They stay on my feet nicely. I use turtle fins that have a huge foot pocket. Best of luck on your mission.

Socks are more of a one size fits all approach. Had them, didn't like them. I have a smallish foot (US 9) and the sock was just too bulky. There is no size of sock, you just get it. I tried 2 different rock boots, shoes, and the worst was a wetsuit booty. The booty I went to the dive shop, put the suit on and tried several boots until I found one that felt like a pretty good fit. In the water the fin stayed on the boot, the boot stayed in the sock, and my foot was working itself out of the sock. That turned into a quick shallow dive, tried a few more times that day to fine tune stuff, gave the boots away.

I also tried a suit with oversized attached boots and that sucked as my feet just flopped around inside the boots.

The last suit I ordered up with properly sized attached tech boots. Velcro wrap at the ankle. This works perfect (for me). The first time I have been happy with my feet in a drysuit. I also keep the fin size down to a normal size. With the half dozen layers of rock boots or wetsuit boots I was having to use fins with larger fin pockets so my feet would go into them and not just my toes. Yes, this was a long steep and expensive learning curve for me. As of the past couple of years it has leveled off into a working system.

I also hated lacing boots/shoes. hard to do wearing a drysuit. Laces either kept coming undone or would not come undone at the end of the dive. The shop's owner will only do socks and boots.

I try to minimize the shore hikes and do mostly boat dives. I've heard that socks and rock boots are a better choice if you like to do a death march while fully geared up. I try to keep the hikes as short as possible. This is dive gear, not hiking gear. But I understand some sites are a hike to get to.

But I am really a fan of a good set of attached boots that are properly sized.

Almost forgot about the drying of the suit. hang from the boots (wader hanger) or a couple of PVC pipes and a computer fan to push a light breeze through works just fine. No need to invert all the way tot he toes. You can still invert all the way to the ankle if need be.

With my Ursuit drysuit, socks come in 6 sizes.

I think it depends on how you aquire your suit - if it's made to measure then your suit boots will (should) be sized to match your feet. However I do agree with Rollin that 'sock to worn with rock boots do make inverting the suit for drying or repairs much easier. And less likely to be damaged on rocky shores.
I've had several suits all with boots of one form or another, from flexible solid neoprene, to solid neoprene (those have a foam neoprene lining), on the way including wellington boot type. The flexible solid neoprene do wear - mine lasted around 200 dives on average. Wellington boot type never wore out, the latest suit the boots aren't showing any sign of wear after 300+ dives.
Suit is Otter Britanic Membrane

+1 for a suit with neoprene socks.

In the past I used rented suits in the UK with attached boots and was usually disappointed in the fit plus drying out the feet when minor floods occurred.

Both my personal drysuits have had socks attached, and have been much more comfortable for me, personal preference really (DUI and Rofos).

Find a suit with a good fit in the foot and go from there.

My Rofos suit was partially custom made, so the feet are a perfect fit.

I'm about to buy a drysuit and I've the pros a cons for each. This might help me and others decide.
By sock I mean neoprene sock with some sort of unattached boot i.e. rock boot.

SG...

Neoprene socks and ''rock boots'' have been my choice for a long time...

Soft feet dry-suits can be completely turned inside out which is a big bonus to aid proper cleaning and drying...

Further get a ''self donning'' suit...front diagonal zipper...preferably with a zipper cover flap ...so you can get in and out of the suit unaided...believe me you'll thank me later...

I prefer the crushed neoprene offered by DUI...neoprene is far more comfortable than a ''bag'' suit...and ''by design'' fit far better with less bulk...

There are several dry-suit undergarments available such as manufactured by Weezle...which are very compatible with neoprene suits and will keep you nice and warm...socks...I wear Max-T-Heat...warn without the loft bulk...

You'll get lots of responses...which will as always be all over the map...based primarily on personal preferences...

Choose very carefully...never buy...''sight unseen''...many mistakes...for many reasons...are made when purchasing dry-suits...

Happy Hunting...

Dive Safe...

Warren...

Attached Trilam/cloth sock, easy to stay in and out of rock boots.

I’ve had attached boots(you are SOL if they don’t fit or your want to sell). Attached neoprene socks were hard to get in and out of my rock boots.
Socks. When (not if) your drysuit floods, with socks it is easy to invert everything and dry things out with a towel

I have both. And I like both.

I do believe the socks are not as warm. The rock boots offer minimal insulation over the socks. An attached boot has more insulating effect.
Socks can be worn with different boots - i have rock boots by dui, bare boots, chuck taylors, and wetsuit booties.
Socks add another step to dressing - have to put the boots on. Boots can be misplaced. One trip someone took my size 11 boots and left their size 7. I ended up with a size 11 and 12 after another trip.

have fun deciding

i have two different drysuits, one with boots and the other neoprene socks. The boots do make it quicker to don. What I don't like about them is I can only wear one pair of socks; the boot is too small to allow me to wear two pair of socks in the winter. Therefore, the boots do not keep my feet as warm in the winter.

The drysuit with the the neoprene socks allow me to wear one pair of socks in the summer and two pair in the winter. It does take longer to don since the Trek/Rock boot strings need to be tied. What I like about the external boot is it feels more comfortable when rocking around rough terrain.

One thing I've noticed, on rare occasions, is a diver's foot can slide out of the boot much easier than one wearing a neoprene or latex sock. Usually this occurs with a diver who isn't paying attention to the gas/air inside the drysuit and lets too much get into his/hers feet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom