Truk dive questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Akcharger

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Good day

I made time to dive Truk in Sept. I emailed the truk stop hotel but neve received a response
- Is there another good contact out there?
- Live aboard would be nice but I see they are 8 days..do they do shorter?
- Suggestions, tips or lessons learned?

Thanks in advance!

You want at minimum 7 days on truk. 14 is better. There is so much to see.

Oh! I didn't know there was another hotel...thanks @Larryjd1
I know! I'd like to stay longer but I'm dropping off my Wife in Hawaii on they way to Truk so don't want to leave her alone too long...she'll spend all our money on shoes and stuff!

The island isn't exactly known for having the best connectivity, so expect responses to be slow. We stayed on land at Blue Lagoon and had a wonderful time. The hotel isn't exactly a luxury resort.... the power goes out regularly and we didn't have hot water for showers. But the dive sites are close and every bit as spectacular as you've heard.

We went on an organized trip through a local dive shop, which made logistics easy (from our perspective, at least). Might be worth looking for something similar.

Sea Otter hit the nail on the head. The Blue Lagoon is a good option. As a solo diver you will have to take pot luck with who you dive with, but you would have the same problem, regardless of which operator you dive with. A travel agent may be your best bet. We priced doing our last trip if we organised it all ourselves and it was not worth the hassle. It was about the same as doing it through a travel agent, and a whole lot less hassle and work.

Leaving your wife in Hawaii may be expensive, but not as bad as her sitting bored in Truk, and you never being allowed on a dive trip again. No one goes to Truk for the shopping and sight seeing. I was reluctant to suggest Truk to my partner as she enjoys the finer things in life, but even she was happy at the Blue Lagoon, the water view, the bar and the diving made up for the hot water situation.

If you can get a couple of friends together you will have a better chance of doing the dives you want. On my last trip there were just the two us, and we were lucky enough to have a boat with just 4 on board, so we had a bit of input into where we dived each day,

I don’t know what your certifications are, but BLR seem to be more interested in competency than certification, at least they were in 2017, but you may find a deep cert of value.

Enjoy yourself

Travel to Truk is expensive from HNL like $1500-2000 return. I would at least have a deep cert and be comfortable with decompression. Ie have a computer that doesnt lock you out if you hit deco.

Blue Lagoon is awesome for shorter trips. When i was there last year some of the guys in Guam came over for just a couple of days, but they were doing that repeatedly. I have spent 30+ days diving in truk - it is still not nearly enough. Cant wait to go back again.

Master Liveaboard and the Truk Odyssey are really the only liveaboard options.

Copy all, thanks guys! good suggestions all. I fly for Jet Blue so I can "jumpseat" or fly up in the cockpit for free (or if open a seat in the back) so that makes it affordable but does limit some items on planning.

When I did UA 154/155, it seems the Island Hopper is usually full between the islands after MAJ, especially out of KSA military base.

Your best bet is to fly HNL-GUM and then revert back to TKK. GUM-TKK is still not every day but I think it is 4 out 7 days each week.

Travel to Truk is expensive from HNL like $1500-2000 return. I would at least have a deep cert and be comfortable with decompression. Ie have a computer that doesnt lock you out if you hit deco.

Master Liveaboard and the Truk Odyssey are really the only liveaboard options.

The cheapest way to go to TKK is using UA miles - only 70K miles from continental US, or 55K from Honolulu.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom