Wetsuit allergy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rsingler

Scuba Instructor, Tinkerer in Brass
Staff member
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Have a physician student with a severe allergy to wetsuit. Prob not neoprene. He thinks it might be the accelerant in the glue, but in any case, his reaction is severe.
Therefore he's not interested in the recommendations in the old threads on this subject: rash guard under, various washes and vinegar/baking soda suit treatments.
Similarly, while he likely has the $$, he's a warm water diver and would prefer not to have to dive dry with all the paraphernalia to take with him on trips.

Simple question: any new alternative suit materials out there for diving wet? All the discussions on this subject are somewhat old.

The Thermocline from Fourth Element sounds like it's just what the doctor ordered. Only 2mm equivalent, but if he likes diving he can go dry in the future.

Thanks!

I'm allergic to neoprene......I bought sharkskin and am happy wearing in 80 degree waters....they are also neutral buoyancy.

My wife has also developed an allergy to "something" in traditional neoprene. We just got back from TCI (diving with Dive Provo-GREAT outfit!!) and she used her new suit from Fourth Element. I did a wonderful job! She LOVES it! Now we just need to get lycra socks because her feet and ankles are still broken out two weeks back home!

Lavacore? Similar products already suggested. Need a little more warmth? Add the LC hood. Would the allergy prohibit adding a 3mm shorty on top of the LC for cooler days? That's what I travel with.

It could be the adhesive between the Nylon lining and the closed cell foam Neoprene. Given that he thinks the allergy is not to Neoprene, the lining adhesive makes more sense due to the surface area. Unlined suits might be a simple solution and, IMHO, are superior anyway.

I have tried the Henderson neoprene free wetsuit and ended up in the hospital with my neoprene allergy which I now think is the glue. so I got a patch from Patagonia who uses natural tree rubber and no neoprene - broke out in hives where the patch was. So on to 4th element thermocline. I have worn it twice in my pool and dove a few dives in one day wearing it all day - no problems. However it is only equal to a 2mm. So I tried a 3mm used Sharkskin over it that I borrowed from the dive shop. Thinking the barrier would solve the problem. Well it must transmit for me via the water trapped in the suit because I ended up breaking out in a rash after just an hour sitting in the pool. So I just ordered another 4th Element to double up this year and looking like a custom dry suit for me in the future. Just passing on this info and hope it helps someone because this is the only allergy I have and it almost killed me.

I have tried the Henderson neoprene free wetsuit and ended up in the hospital with my neoprene allergy which I now think is the glue. so I got a patch from Patagonia who uses natural tree rubber and no neoprene - broke out in hives where the patch was. So on to 4th element thermocline. I have worn it twice in my pool and dove a few dives in one day wearing it all day - no problems. However it is only equal to a 2mm. So I tried a 3mm used Sharkskin over it that I borrowed from the dive shop. Thinking the barrier would solve the problem. Well it must transmit for me via the water trapped in the suit because I ended up breaking out in a rash after just an hour sitting in the pool. So I just ordered another 4th Element to double up this year and looking like a custom dry suit for me in the future. Just passing on this info and hope it helps someone because this is the only allergy I have and it almost killed me.
Boy, that is sobering. Hope you get that drysuit soon!

If the water is warm, why do you need a suit? I made something as 300 dives at Maldives, and in no one I used a neoprene suit. Just an adherent T-shirt, mostly for sun protection at surface and on the boat...
Now they make very nice swimming shirts specifically designed to be used in water for UV protection.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom