question on Doubles manifold isolator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah I was able to move the know where I wanted it. No leaks. She is staying where it is... Thank you to everyone for the input
As long as you didn't need a wrench you're fine. With the orings and the manifold threads lubed and with good quality bands, it should move a little (plus minus 15-30degs or maybe a little more) with one hand. If you are happy with the angle you can use the lock nuts but they are not required.

.....and there are so many manifold failures happening......
They fail all the time in internet diving :D

rjack it moved exactly as you stated with one hand no tools... was not that hard actually... LOL..... time to go diving again.... I took my first weekend off since June and I am experiencing severe withdrawal...I think I am gong to start a post on diving withdrawal... and I mean that in a serious manner. I dont feel right

Here are only two different manifold styles, of many, many of which will fail immediately
if you fiddle with your nuts

full.png

whilst loosening nuts here may not cause immediate failure

Loosening nuts here will

full.jpg

immediate ear exploding tank tipping toe topping spinning around failure

I wonder if this fiddler with valves or the filler of tanks was able to ask questions afterwards
and hear the answers if or when the hearing damage permitted or death did not intervene

full.jpg

just another little hp air story

It's really not alright for people to fiddle with manifolds under pressure.

Here are only two different manifold styles, of many, many of which will fail immediately
if you fiddle with your nuts

View attachment 492184

This diagram does a good job of showing that the isolator valve itself is a greater risk. If that sealing oring fails while the HP seat is open, all gas goes bye bye, unless you can get that valve closed off.

I have a couple sets of doubles with these OMS manifolds. Never had an issue.

It's really not alright for people to fiddle with manifolds under pressure.

Did a manifold have anything to do with that accident?

That sure looks scary. In the cave environment, manifold get bumped on all sorts of things. I had a pair of doubles divers scooter past me in Ginnie and one of them made a very audible “Doink!” By bumping into something on the ceiling. ...yikes! Happens all the time.. not saying it’s ok, ....or safe.. I have yet to ever hear of a manifold failure as a result of contact/trauma while in water. Perhaps some angels wear fins?

I had a hunch before even opening the link... it was a 3/4 x 14 and M thread mix up, nothing else....

Awful however....

but little to do with adjusting a manifold.

YMMV

Back
Top Bottom