Spring and shims for Sherwood 5100 Brut

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It has 2. That's why I was also looking for a source for the spring. Just in case one additional washer didn't work.

I've also seen stainless used. One side effect though with stainless or any other metal is that vibrations in the spring may cause the reg to "sing" as harmonics are generated. Harmless but annoying to some.
Try calling John at Northeast Scuba Supply. They may have the kits.

Those correct shims are pretty darn thin. It would have to be a very specialized SS washer to not easily exceed the thickness of 3 shims.

Good suggestions from everyone, thank you! I measured the shims- thickness: 0.015" Inside diameter: 0.640" outside diameter: 0.925". I browsed the McMaster-Carr catalog and found color coded plastic shims. The 0.015" thick shims are pink, same color as the ones in my regulator. I ordered a package of these (10) with 5/8" (0.625) ID and 1" OD. I am hoping that the similarities between these shims and the ones in the reg are not a coincidence.

If someone could post the thickness and diameter of the standard shims it would be easy to improvise something.

grf88...

First and foremost...this isn't DIY...it's leading an unknowing individual into trouble...and why would anyone...with professional level accreditation's even think of encouraging someone who is obviously not a certified service tech to proceed down the road to possible disaster...and even worse suggest makeshift alterations by making spring shims from an unintended use origin that may possibly fail in service...

This is a specialized part...manufactured from a specialized material...for an intended purpose...that being...maintaining a ''stable'' intermediate pressure...for a continued duration...under extreme conditions...

This is the primary reason why these specialized parts are not available to the general public in the first place...

I'd strongly suggest to anyone who can't afford to take authorized service tech courses or to get get their reg sets ''properly serviced by a factory authorized dive shop to take up a safer sport/hobby like needle point or basket weaving...

''Training and practical application makes you far less susceptible to bad ideas''

Dive Safe...

Warren

grf88...

First and foremost...it's not a DIY forum...and why would you...with professional level accreditation's even think of encouraging someone who is obviously not a certified service tech to proceed down the road to possible disaster...and even worse suggest makeshift alterations by making spring shims from an unintended use origin that may possibly fail in service...

This is a specialized part...manufactured from a specialized material...for an intended purpose...that being...maintaining a ''stable'' intermediate pressure...for a continued duration...under extreme conditions...

This is the primary reason why these specialized parts are not available to the general public in the first place...

I'd strongly suggest to anyone who can't afford to take authorized service tech courses or to get get their reg sets ''properly serviced by a factory authorized dive shop to take up a safer sport/hobby like needle point or basket weaving...

''Training and practical application makes you less susceptible to bad ideas''

Dive Safe...

Warren
At top of page you will find DIY as this in the DIY Sub-Forum on this board. The OP appears to have found a suitable source for a shim and it is up to him what he does. Many on this board do their own maintenance despite the cries of instant death from individuals like yourself. Many of us do our own maintenance as a result of receiving poor service that could have resulted in serious issues. I trust you took the 3 day fueling course before you ventured into a self service gas station.

Back
Top Bottom