I just saw a speared GSB from Catalina on Instagram

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You know Max, I think the pic might have been Photoshoped. The dentist probably grabbed a random picture off the internet and put his mug over it for social media marketing, not realizing it was a GSB.

If you look closely at the picture the beanie cap is lightened gray, his face has a stark contrast on the background, the depth of his face and the deck is weird, especially at the bottom and the real dead giveaway is a piece of his neck is missing. Someone got impatient with the eraser blending tool.

I could be wrong, but the photo looks a little odd to me. You're a photographer so maybe you would know better.

Capture.JPG

That looks like an opaleye on a filet table to me.

Was wondering yesterday if possibly a mistaken ID but couldn't think of another dark fish.

Didn't realize that opaleye could NOT have spots! I've always identified them by the bright white spot on the back (per image below "occ. absent in large fish"). Suspect fish pectoral fin shape does look similar to DFW Fish ID image for opaleye vs black sea bass... but suspect fish looks more elongated vs round?

Opaleye
mspc107.gif

California Marine Sportfish Identification: Other Fishes:

Black Sea Bass
mspc081.gif

California Marine Sportfish Identification: Sea Bass

Hoping that it was just a misidentified opaleye and not a small black sea bass!

I found some photos of dead opaleyes and the spots are still visible as well as the shape being more rounded than a GSB. I hope I was wrong about the original post, but I'm not sure.
20180218_130552edt-copy-jpg.86901.jpg

copal1quilt.jpg

Cat_2010_Mole_Opaleye2-620x465.jpg

20140920_131603.jpg

hedge-opaleye-2.jpg

I don't see any evidence of the photograph being Photoshopped. It looks like a selfie composed to show the guy's broken tooth and the fish on the fillet table. The cap just has a lighter edge on the 'roll' because it's picking-up more sunlight. The guy's neck is missing because it's not in the picture; it's a partial facial shot. The area below the table has some shadowing on it. Hope this guy didn't take a GSB!

fish_unidentified.jpg

Here's the fish from the dentist's image rotated and with the perspective partially corrected.
May make identification easier.

I'm no expert, but based on the fillet table size, this would be a juvenile, yes?
Most juvenile GSB I've seen tend toward a light gray color with spots.
I don't recall seeing any completely black juveniles.
Maybe like most of us, I'm just hoping it's not a GBS.

Paging Dr. Bill... Paging Dr. Bill...

Back
Top Bottom