Cool film - Dive Odyssey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dont get it
Lots of people didn't get "2001: A Space Odyssey", either.

I'm curious whether the entire dive site is "real", or if there was CGI involved for the scootering through the rocky passages. Overall, a cool video, IMO.

There is a VFX credit, but who knows how extensive the work may or may not have been.

It might just be a "spec" film, one to show off the work in hopes of landing a paying job doing underwater films.

It's weird and artsy, but the camera shots are amazing and the divers have good technique. Pretty darned cool is what I think.

Musta been a 4th Element commercial. Was cool though..

I'm curious whether the entire dive site is "real", or if there was CGI involved for the scootering through the rocky passages.

The dive sites are real, no extensive CGI/VFX. The cave entrance under ice is in Plura, Norway. The rocky passages, and the gate are in Ojamo Mine, Finland.

The dive sites are real, no extensive CGI/VFX. The cave entrance under ice is in Plura, Norway. The rocky passages, and the gate are in Ojamo Mine, Finland.
yep that gate is seen in multiple Ojamo videos. I think it's called "Hell's Gate" ... it is part of the concrete support structures of the former mine and it's supporting the ceiling of the large mine hall to reduce the risks of mining deep under the lake bottom.

I think the vfx part was for the pool scene (the freedivers standing on the bottom) , a normal approach shooting that type of scene would be to hang black molton (stage cloth) all over the pool walls to get the background to fall into darkness as much as possible and then enhance the effect by smoothing out every remaining imperfections with visual effects. probably the floor as well.

they may have removed some cave lines later with vfx as well

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom