Trim Weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

subaqueous

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

I had a question about using trim weights on my kit. I am currently diving double HP120s (while I'm still young). I am 6'1 so they fit me well for my height. I moved the bands down to help adjust my head up position - my valves are fairly high now (see picture below). I'm still noticing that I'm in a heads up position, especially diving this kit in a wetsuit.

I curious to know if it was a good idea to add trim weights to help compensate for this a little bit?

I currently don't wear any additional weight in a drysuit with my SS backplate and the two steel tanks and I still like I have more than enough weight. Would it be a bad idea to add 2lbs to each trim pocket? I could switch to an aluminum plate to offset the additional weight? Would it be more appropriate to get a different size set of doubles?

upload_2018-11-29_10-26-11.png

Thanks in advance.

I'm wondering if you don't have the tanks so high that you're head heavy, and diving a little head up to compensate.
I'm thinking along those lines as well. In general, I think you should have your tank bands as high as they will go on the tank.

Thanks for the replies. I'm using Hollis F1s which are negative, I could try a more neutral fin - good point. I will also adjust the bands and see if I am in fact compensating for being head heavy.

Your head is being forced down because the bands are way too low. To see forward and due to the valves and regs being so high and resulting head heaviness, you are rearing back. "Popping a wheelie" so to speak. Raise the bands to just below the crown of the tanks - as high as they go. Then get your head back and arch your back into proper trim.

maybe try keeping the bubble of your wing in the bottom too, that should tilt the fulcrum forward and counteract a head's up position.

Move your bands farther up. As high as you can get 'em. The tanks are far too high, and you're ending up in a head up position to counteract that forward weight.

And good lord get a drysuit. What's your plan when you step off the boat and the elbow pops off your wing? At present you're going to end up being a lawn dart on the bottom.

Your head is being forced down because the bands are way too low. To see forward and due to the valves and regs being so high and resulting head heaviness, you are rearing back. "Popping a wheelie" so to speak. Raise the bands to just below the crown of the tanks - as high as they go. Then get your head back and arch your back into proper trim.

Thanks - this makes a lot of sense. I was in the pool on 100s and when I purchased the 120s I think I believed that I needed to move the bands down to compensate for their height.

This is probably the most important advice you will get in this thread.

Absolutely - this was drilled into my head by my instructor during the intro to tech class.

Move your bands farther up. As high as you can get 'em. The tanks are far too high, and you're ending up in a head up position to counteract that forward weight.

And good lord get a drysuit. What's your plan when you step off the boat and the elbow pops off your wing? At present you're going to end up being a lawn dart on the bottom.

Thanks. I am in a drysuit, which you might not be able to see from the low res screen cap.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom