C53

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Funny. That is one of the "don't take me to that dive site" dives. I've done it a few times and that was more than enough. Suggest that you do it on nitrox. Hope you enjoy it!

I feel the same way. Done the C53 dive twice, and it make my list of Least Favorite Dive Sites on Cozumel. I just don’t understand the appeal of diving down to see a rusting hulk of iron. I’d much, much rather be looking at soaring coral spires, vibrant corals, sponges and sea life. But to each his own.

I just don’t understand the appeal of diving down to see a rusting hulk of iron. I’d much, much rather be looking at soaring coral spires, vibrant corals, sponges and sea life.
Yeah, but. I enjoy the natural reefs there much more than the wreck, but if one takes his/her time going over the wreck, it can be enjoyable to view the sea life colonizing, Sergeant Majors ruthlessly defending their territories against giant divers as tiny as they are. Too, the ship had a brave history in WWII, clearing areas of mines before landings, working under enemy fire and all. No, I don't want to do it again, but it's not a wasted dive.

The back and forth on Aldora dive times illustrates how there are lies, dammed lies, and statistics. Maybe we should just leave it that bigger tanks will allow many divers to get more bottom time in most cases?

I like wreck diving and while the C53 is not really a world-class wreck it is still interesting to me. Last few times we have done about 15-20 minutes on the wreck then drifted to the Balones which I always enjoy.

I feel the same way. Done the C53 dive twice, and it make my list of Least Favorite Dive Sites on Cozumel. I just don’t understand the appeal of diving down to see a rusting hulk of iron. I’d much, much rather be looking at soaring coral spires, vibrant corals, sponges and sea life. But to each his own.
I'm with you. Wreck diving has never appealed to me; the works of nature are far more interesting to me than are the works of man.

I'd probably strangle somebody before I made it through a 2 hour surface interval.
tenor.gif

I've done the C53 once last year with Dimi Divers and it was pretty interesting. I didn't make a penetration dive but had more than enough to see swimming around the hull and perimeter. It's not professional quality (or even edited for that matter) but here's the video in two parts (because the GoPro started a new video about 17-18 minutes in) of that dive. Hopefully it'll give you some idea of what you can expect. And I know if you go at the right time, sometimes you can see the submarine tour that goes by there, too.

To each his own on the wreck diving - I know folks that hate staring at fish...

I've dove the C53 once, was the first penetration experience ever, sorta cool. Shorter dive as my wife loves air and the flat semi deep profile - 45 minutes, averaged 50', most of the dive at 70' and came back with 1100 psi in an 80.

It is a unique dive for the area and I wouldn't think about going there during busier times as the majority want to dive the reefs.

The better chance of diving it is either charter a boat, go with a group so you're the majority or during slower times with a valet dive op, chances are the boat isn't full. I gotta believe that all dive ops want to have happy customers and will work with you the best they can to show you what you want to see - sometimes that may come with a price tag if you're the only one on the boat....

I've done the C53 once last year with Dimi Divers and it was pretty interesting. I didn't make a penetration dive but had more than enough to see swimming around the hull and perimeter. It's not professional quality (or even edited for that matter) but here's the video in two parts (because the GoPro started a new video about 17-18 minutes in) of that dive. Hopefully it'll give you some idea of what you can expect. And I know if you go at the right time, sometimes you can see the submarine tour that goes by there, too.

Thanks for the video. Not what I expected from past posts on SB. For some reason I expected a small nondescript ship.

To me this looks much like all the other intentional, artificial shipwreck dives, often heavily promoted by other dive locales. Similar to the heavily promoted Kittiwake in Grand Cayman. And much like it, I think it would be a one and done for me as well.

I find it interesting that Cozumel invested the time, cost and effort to create this wreck, then if anything, the dive ops ignore it or actively discourage it.

A drift dive on it then a reef structure sounds like a pretty good dive and could add some interest to a week or more of all reef dives.

Back
Top Bottom