BSAC avoids annual VIP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The important word is should...

What you're assuming is that filling stations are infallible. Even the most diligent of operators can have issues.

Personally I don't consider £100 per year too much of a cost in the great scheme of the annual costs of diving

My opinion is that I disagree with the principle, others like you have a different view

For sure it is possible that the gas might be contaminated - you are right they are not infallible. However the cost/benefit is the (for me) the main issue. You might not consider £100 too much but many people do. I can buy a tank for not much more than that so in reality I would never bother testing a tank, just buy a new one. To be fair we are nearly at than point now with a hydrostatic test with O2.

Quite apart from the stupid waste (and environmental cost) this represents a more simple solution which is to have a compressor. Your 18 tanks at £100 each will buy a compressor and it would pay for itself in a year. I have 8 tanks that need testing so would look at that option too. (A 300bar tank and filling whip is another cheap alternative)

An annual test is more of the "just in case" nonsense that gets labelled "nanny state" or "health and safety" and generally is driven by profit not concern for anyone's safety or a tin foil hat view of the role of government. The BSAC have - quite rightly - represented the views of the majority of UK divers and have put forward the view this is a solution looking for a problem. That is the job of the UK governing body and they have done their job well.

Ultimately the decision whether to fill or not and what testing regime is required should be up to the person filling. That person should have the final say.

for funsies. Here's prices from a local shop
Hydro-$55
VIP-$25 *not included in hydro price*
Valve Rebuild-$25+parts, also not included in hydro price
Nitrox fill-$12-not included in vip price

so you're over $120 every 5 years. brand new AL80's are $150, and brand new steels are $350. So at hydro time, the AL80's are disposable, and if you have steel tanks, you can sell out of hydro steels for $150-$200 and then there's no point. Those prices are insane, but normal up here.

How often are tanks tested that are used out in the oil fields? Crazy filthy working conditions at times. Do the DOT standards cover every other tank in the US unless it has been attached to a scuba reg? Or do some other “pressure vessel” groups also require a more frequent inspection? Damage issues aside.

DOT cover transportation of tanks. As long as you not transport your tank (on public roads) pressurized they have no saying.

2 issues about VIPS.

first any PROPERLY done vip for under 25 dollars is a deal. It doesnt sound like many have ever done a PSI check sheet for a VIS.
Second issue is whether the annual periodicity is realistic as a safety measure. I would be in favor of moving to a 2 year schedule. re-examining the results and if good move to a 3 year sched. for many tanks that should be workable but for tanks ta tare rentals or boat fills that may not work.

It is strange that it works in rest of the world. ...

As someone generally in favor of removing unwarranted regulation overhead, interestingly enough, I make out well by getting my higher cost VIP at the shop. We get a fill discount after doing VIPs at my shop. I can get hydros for $10 less and VIPs for $15 less, but at the rate my family is diving (which I love, for context) I can recoup the higher inspection fees in a month. So maybe I have a selfish vested interest in voting for yearly VIPs. I prefer giving that money to the shop anyway, and the cheaper fills seals the deal. Excellent policy by the shop, IMO.

DOT cover transportation of tanks. As long as you not transport your tank (on public roads) pressurized they have no saying.

I’m not sure this is correct. I think they only cover the above transport when it’s for commercial purposes. As a practical matter the DOT have no interest you if your not driving a truck (box truck or semi)

I’m not sure this is correct. I think they only cover the above transport when it’s for commercial purposes. As a practical matter the DOT have no interest you if your not driving a truck (box truck or semi)

oh yes they do. Not allowed to transport that kind of pressure on highways without DOT stamps on tanks. That's very much illegal. Carrying anything over 1000lbs *vessel and gas* that's over some stupid low PSI like 200 *can't remember exact pressure*, it's automatically considered commercial and you have to have a HAZMAT CDL. Fun fact.

Also, transporting for commercial purposes gets really fuzzy when rental tanks are involved. What's the risk? pretty bloody low until you get into an accident and highway patrol is in a bad mood

I think that’s why all the shops around me have students pick up and transport rented tanks to the teaching site and back, rather than taking them there in a trailer or truck.

Just for peace of mind an annual vis is better than a 2.5 year, at least if your cylinder does have some corrosion it can be more easily stopped and the cylinder recovered, where as with lengthy inspections not so much.

But then why wait for 12 month to have “peace of mind”? Wouldn’t a vis inspection very 6 month give you more peace? Heck, if you do a vis every 3 month you might even sleep at night. I guess the point is, where are the data showing how much of a reduction in risk we get from yearly vis. Otherwise we might as well introduce that idiotic Aussie scheme of yearly hydro testing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom