Ears care

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is so funny. Mixing alcohol and vinegar is hardly within the exclusive bailiwick of an experienced chemist. There are no chemical reactions nor is an imbalance of either chemical likely to result in an explosion or ruin your hearing.

Good on you and your great skills in chemistry...
Others are less skilled, and mix every kind of **** they can find, and then they **** their ears.
This is a fact, and I've seen it many time...
Can you understand this simple concept?

...but then I read this:

If the idea of adding a few teaspoons of vinegar to a bottle of alcohol represents a major intellectual challenge and makes you shake with fear, I would stay out of the water altogether. Scary things on the reef and all that...

...and I realise.

This is pretty funny and has certainly gone in an unexpected direction!

The idea that this well researched (USN spent lots of time on this years ago!) simple mix (even with the several variations) isn’t simplicity itself could only be made by someone who likely shouldn’t push the boundaries of known science by ever going underwater!

SD

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

let's keep on topic here without bickering and personal attacks

Good on you and your great skills in chemistry...
Others are less skilled, and mix every kind of **** they can find, and then they **** their ears.
This is a fact, and I've seen it many time...
Can you understand this simple concept?

...but then I read this:

...and I realise.

Please cite a single case of someone who mixed this wrong and injured themselves.

Please cite a single case of someone who mixed this wrong and injured themselves.
These are the last two examples that I've witnessed (sorry, I didn't write a paper on it, therefore you have to trust me).
Liveabord on the great barrier reef, somewhere near the Ribbon reefs.
A lady had some ear problem, and another lady told her: "Here, take this, I made it myself: it's a mix of alcohol, vinegar and antibiotics..."
She squirted that thing in her ears and she started to scream because it was burning too much. Unfortunately for her, no more diving on that trip because of that.

Meanwhile, my girlfriend had a problem to her ears too, but she didn't take anything from anyone (oh, what a shame: she doesn't push the limit!!): luckily for her it wasn't a big problem a she was able to dive anyway.
However, at the end of the trip, she went to the doctor, and she also explain what she witnessed from the other lady, and the doctor told her to absolutely avoid any home made potion (and especially if someone else made it).

...but maybe, it's just that down here we're to pussy and we all should avoid to get wet.

And btw, just to explain a little bit more my concern here: I've seen people taking and doing everything to themselves without having any idea of what they were taking or doing to themselves just because they read it somewhere, or someone else told them.
Why? Because ignorance and stupidity are common characteristics of many human beings.
Same applies to some vinegar and alcohol in your ears.

These are the last two examples that I've witnessed (sorry, I didn't write a paper on it, therefore you have to trust me).
Liveabord on the great barrier reef, somewhere near the Ribbon reefs.
A lady had some ear problem, and another lady told her: "Here, take this, I made it myself: it's a mix of alcohol, vinegar and antibiotics..."
She squirted that thing in her ears and she started to scream because it was burning too much. Unfortunately for her, no more diving on that trip because of that.

Meanwhile, my girlfriend had a problem to her ears too, but she didn't take anything from anyone (oh, what a shame: she doesn't push the limit!!): luckily for her it wasn't a big problem a she was able to dive anyway.
However, at the end of the trip, she went to the doctor, and she also explain what she witnessed from the other lady, and the doctor told her to absolutely avoid any home made potion (and especially if someone else made it).

...but maybe, it's just that down here we're to pussy and we all should avoid to get wet.

And btw, just to explain a little bit more my concern here: I've seen people taking and doing everything to themselves without having any idea of what they were taking or doing to themselves just because they read it somewhere, or someone else told them.
Why? Because ignorance and stupidity are common characteristics of many human beings.
Same applies to some vinegar and alcohol in your ears.

I'm a scientist. The plural of anecdote is not data.

"Pussy?" I have many Australian friends. Asides from the fact that you lot cheat at cricket, (I was at Newlands that day), I'd hardly say that Australians are wimpy in any way. Except when using sandpaper to get get reverse swing I suppose. And you've got Pauline Hanson. With all that in mind, I apologize if I've offended you in any way :wink:

I'm a scientist. The plural of anecdote is not data.

"Pussy?" I have many Australian friends. Asides from the fact that you lot cheat at cricket, (I was at Newlands that day), I'd hardly say that Australians are wimpy in any way. Except when using sandpaper to get get reverse swing I suppose. And you've got Pauline Hanson. With all that in mind, I apologize if I've offended you in any way :wink:
I'm a scientist too.

...but still, I couldn't write papers on my anecdotes because I didn't think I had to.

...but if you have time, you might find something interesting here side effects of self made medication - PubMed - NCBI

The only time I get swimmers ear is in fresh water. The last 40 years diving, free diving, surfing, body surfing....all in the sea....etc....nothing. I move to Thailand and take my kids swimming in the subdivision, fresh water pool, and we all got it.

Flushed my ears with about 150 ppt salt water, and it cleared right up. Same with my 8 year old son.

This super saline flush (even higher...200 ppt) with heated water has also nipped colds and sore throats in the bud for the last 10 years or so. As soon as I feel it in the soft tissue at the back of the roof of my mouth, I gargle with this hot salt water. Sometimes 2-3 times in the course of 8 hours. Really works, knocks it right out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom