Anyone that flew Divi-Divi recently?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kharon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This trip from Bonaire to Aruba is turning into a debacle. I finally got things the best I could - everything into two (normal) carry-on suitcases. Total weight about 5 kilos over ($10). No problem, even if my checked bag comes a day late. Then I find out that Divi-Divi has a size limit on a carry-on - 10" x 10" x 14" - are you effing kidding me?????

Just realized that last night and put a question into Divi-Divi, but probably won't hear back till Monday. At this point I don't know if I can even get all my stuff to Aruba at all. One other problem is that a lot of my carry-on has batteries - dive lights, ActiveOn camera, netbook computer and so can't go in the baggage compartment. Just shoot me.

Only one other airline (No Insel doesn't count) with one other flight available (at least they have normal baggage restrictions). It leaves later but is non stop and gets in before my wife's plane arrives from NY. I hate to eat the $200 for the DIvi-Divi flight but ...

Guess I'll wait to hear back from DIvi-Divi. Wish I had known about the draconian baggage limits before I booked with them. My bad.

My question is: does anyone know if they really limit your carry-on to that tiny size? And what happens if it's bigger?

My question is: does anyone know if they really limit your carry-on to that tiny size? And what happens if it's bigger?

We flew Divi in June 2018 (and several times before that). They weigh your total luggage at the check in desk and charge you for over weight (usually). We kept our rollaboards with us and handed them over when we went to board the plane at which point they were placed in the luggage compartments. There is no room on the plane for anything larger than a small bag. So, no, they didn't limit the size of the luggage but it goes in the luggage compartment. Of course, I can't speak to whether they've made any changes to this policy since June (but it's been the same for years). We've always been happy with Divi.

Andy

We flew Divi in June 2018 (and several times before that). They weigh your total luggage at the check in desk and charge you for over weight (usually). We kept our rollaboards with us and handed them over when we went to board the plane at which point they were placed in the luggage compartments. There is no room on the plane for anything larger than a small bag. So, no, they didn't limit the size of the luggage but it goes in the luggage compartment. Of course, I can't speak to whether they've made any changes to this policy since June (but it's been the same for years). We've always been happy with Divi.

Andy

Thanks. That eases my mind a bit. I guess I can clear security and take the batteries out and put them in my pockets before boarding and keep my netbook computer in my hand (under seat) for the flight. Maybe even wear my dive computer and Harness/wing. Next time I'll know to book with Aruba Airlines, which has the same baggage rules as major airlines - 50# (23 kilo) checked and 17# (8 kilo) carry-on , a personal item, and is about $25 cheaper.

Batteries installed in equipment can be checked. It is loose/spare batteries that have to be carried on.

Kharon,

Can you still get a small back pack like college kids use? That would fit your computer, flashlight, meds, etc. I usually fit my reg in mine too, but I don't have camera flashes to take.

Kharon,

Can you still get a small back pack like college kids use? That would fit your computer, flashlight, meds, etc. I usually fit my reg in mine too, but I don't have camera flashes to take.

I've got a small mesh collection bag that will fit the netbook and batteries. I'm also thinking about wearing my harness/soft backpac/wing, my dive computer and anything else I can think of. I think they should have a warning to check the baggage restrictions before booking on their home page as they are so out of line with anything I have ever experienced. Seriously draconian. I understand that the restrictions are necessary. I just think a warning that things are more than a bit unusual would be more honest than hiding stuff behind links.

It's killing me that Aruba Air has a flight that's direct, $25 less, and their baggag restrictions are exactly what you would expect - 50# checked, 17# carry-on and a personal object. It's also pi$$ing me off that after giving them a complete description of the dimensions of my two small suitcases (22 x 14 x 9) and 25 kilo evenly spread they won't give me a straight answer to the question "Can I be sure at least one of the bags will travel with me".

Looks like Aruba Air is flying some nice new planes. Maybe there's some potential there.

This trip from Bonaire to Aruba is turning into a debacle. I finally got things the best I could - everything into two (normal) carry-on suitcases. Total weight about 5 kilos over ($10). No problem, even if my checked bag comes a day late. Then I find out that Divi-Divi has a size limit on a carry-on - 10" x 10" x 14" - are you effing kidding me?????

Just realized that last night and put a question into Divi-Divi, but probably won't hear back till Monday. At this point I don't know if I can even get all my stuff to Aruba at all. One other problem is that a lot of my carry-on has batteries - dive lights, ActiveOn camera, netbook computer and so can't go in the baggage compartment. Just shoot me.

Only one other airline (No Insel doesn't count) with one other flight available (at least they have normal baggage restrictions). It leaves later but is non stop and gets in before my wife's plane arrives from NY. I hate to eat the $200 for the DIvi-Divi flight but ...

Guess I'll wait to hear back from DIvi-Divi. Wish I had known about the draconian baggage limits before I booked with them. My bad.

Yes, they can if needed, cabin space is very limited in these planes. Divi has picked up a huge inter-island market as being much more reliable than Insel is/was with many more daily flights. I’ll generally suggest US folks book direct to the island when possible. United from Newark and Houston, Delta from Atlanta, and American from Miami (with 4x/week flights as of 15-Dec). . . A new carrier EZAir will start flying soon but also small twin engine prop planes, not sure what their baggage limits will be.

Wife and I flew Aruba Air last month with big dive bags from Bonaire to Curacao. Nice plane. Nice flight. We chose Aruba Air over Divi Divi for this flight because we were staying out west on Curacao and didn't want to chance having to burn a half day driving back & forth to the airport if our bags didn't make our flight. Aruba Air didn't have the selection of flight times offered by Divi Divi, but since we were staying & diving on both islands, we had some flexibility. The more limited flight times (may or may not line up as inter-island connectors for the big US flights, not sure) may be why they aren't discussed more. With Insel's situation and the increased cost of getting to the islands maybe they will become more of a player and add a few more options.

Wife and I flew Aruba Air last month with big dive bags from Bonaire to Curacao. Nice plane. Nice flight. We chose Aruba Air over Divi Divi for this flight because we were staying out west on Curacao and didn't want to chance having to burn a half day driving back & forth to the airport if our bags didn't make our flight. Aruba Air didn't have the selection of flight times offered by Divi Divi, but since we were staying & diving on both islands, we had some flexibility. The more limited flight times (may or may not line up as inter-island connectors for the big US flights, not sure) may be why they aren't discussed more. With Insel's situation and the increased cost of getting to the islands maybe they will become more of a player and add a few more options.
You said 2 big dive bags. Question for you, I saw aruba airlines carry on size limits (19.6x13.7x9) and it is just smaller than most US carriers (22X14X9). I measured all of our hard side carry ons and they are apx 21x14x9. I also have scoured websites all over for hard side carry on luggage that actually conforms to these measurements (including wheels and handle) and it seems that they do not exist. Did they actually measure carry on luggage? We are looking at an extra 100$ per couple because our carry on will be 1 inch too long if they stay firm on those measurements. Also, is aruba airlines a pressurized cabin?

Back
Top Bottom