• just the 100% during the dive AL40

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • just the 100% during the dive AL80

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • also a tank of O2 on the boat

Votes: 17 94.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Carrying O2 in water doesn't give any real advantage as it has a such limited usage window (you have a deco station in the water, doesn't make sense to carry one). You will carry whatever bottle you'll need for your dive, however if I wold be forced to chose a "generic" one, I will go for EAN50-EAN66.
O2 on the boat is another matter.

How long till you can be in under medical care with oxygen provided or in recompression chamber?

Bring that much oxygen.
I like that :) I have an about an hour to get to Home there I have 50LT O2 tanks and then a good 10-15 hours to a chamber, I'm in India

Carrying O2 in water doesn't give any real advantage as it has a such limited usage window (you have a deco station in the water, doesn't make sense to carry one). You will carry whatever bottle you'll need for your dive, however if I wold be forced to chose a "generic" one, I will go for EAN50-EAN66.
O2 on the boat is another matter.

That is normally the case 50% underwater and have a 100% on the boat, however sometimes the plan(or the course) requires 2 deco tanks, We do mainly drift dives so no deco station.

How long till you can be in under medical care with oxygen provided or in recompression chamber?

Bring that much oxygen.

+1 to this

I crew/drive a few charters and both carry medical bottles of oxygen. One of the charters does mainly tech diving and they carry at least one extra 40 of oxygen onboard. When traveling by car or for shore dives, I’ll usually have either an oxygen kit or an AL40 of oxygen with me.

isn't a hang tank of o2 at 6m/20ft common practice for tech charters?
Not here. Currents are too strong or by the time you are close enough to see it you're at risk of a prop strike, or both. I can't think of a single operator doing anything but a free to move boat with a shot line on the site/wreck or just dropping you on the wall. There's a couple sites that have mooring buoys but the operator in the area has too large a boat to use it.

They all carry an industrial bottle or a DAN kit plus non-rebreather masks.

isn't a hang tank of o2 at 6m/20ft common practice for tech charters?
It might be. I haven't dived all over the world, but I have never seen it. Not once.

It might be. I haven't dived all over the world, but I have never seen it. Not once.

I think I've seen it on two boats in 20 years. One was the Garloo. I've forgotten which the other was. But the problem with depending on it is of course that if the downline parts and your O2 is on the line, you're in for a much longer hang (assuming a lost gas plan) and if you were in trouble, you still are in trouble.

I bring one on all charters that I'm going out on if they will allow it *the boats that I'm usually on do*. Have a RescuEAN onboard in the bag with my FFM for IWR as well. Never seen a charter put one in the water for divers though, only when they bring them

The one operator I've used in the Great Lakes, Jitka and the "Molly V" hangs O2 overboard from a large industrial bottle on deck. She has 3 OC regs and a BC whip coming off a manifold block at 20ft. But all the wrecks we dove with her had mooring buoys. And everyone on the boat (all diving CCR with enough BO) could have completed their deco without the hanging O2. The one time someone was feeling "bent-ish" he got back in the water on his CCR for 30mins and never used the hanging O2.

To paraphrase the old pilot saying, the only time you have too much O2 is when you’re on fire.

We always have at least an 80 of O2 on board in addition to whatever the divers have with them. If your dive needs 40cf of oxygen and you bring an 80, then 40 is all you have left. Also, in an actual emergency you may have burned through that O2 in water. Going to be a long ride back.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom