BSAC avoids annual VIP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep. but I think there is a lot of air pumped that is -50 or so.

None of that air comes out of my compressor (grin). I test at filter change time, so the measured dew point as as bad as it gets, not as good as it can be.

None of that air comes out of my compressor (grin). I test at filter change time, so the measured dew point as as bad as it gets, not as good as it can be.
What does it test at?

Good for you.

I wasn’t agreeing with the comments earlier that said only way to get water inside the tank was through compressor, what you quoted was said with sarcasm, that’s why I used the pictures with salt inside the tanks, that’s a definitive proof for me that water got in there while these tanks were being used, like you said, water got there through the reg, by being breathed empty, or however low on gas it needs to be to let water in

No sarcasm intended.

No sarcasm intended.
Yes, plenty of sarcasm intended.

I said: what you quoted was said with sarcasm

You quoted me, and I had written it with sarcasm

Clear now?

SITA (Scuba Industry Trade Association) gathered the failure rates from the UK test houses:
• Number of tests undertaken (in the thousands),
• Number of failures, type of failure,
• Cylinder age, size, condition, pressure,
• The survey covered a number of years not just the most resent.

The cylinders at most risk are 3Lt and smaller, where the thread might fail.

For the U.K. it isn’t a reduction from anything to 2½, 5 years. We’ve had this regime for over 20 years.
Are the results published anywhere?
Any more numbers than just the numbers of tests undertaken (in the thousands)?

Are the cylinders most at risk gonna have a different inspection schedule than the rest?

Are the results published anywhere?
Any more numbers than just the numbers of tests undertaken (in the thousands)?

Are the cylinders most at risk gonna have a different inspection schedule than the rest?
No the information isn’t in the Public domain.

Each sector of the diving industry must do their own risk assessment; recreational or oil & gas are just two sectors.

No the information isn’t in the Public domain.

Each sector of the diving industry must do their own risk assessment; recreational or oil & gas are just two sectors.
I’m referring to what you’ve said here
The cylinders at most risk are 3Lt and smaller, where the thread might fail..
Are the cylinders most at risk gonna have a different inspection schedule?

There is a lot of difference between a -70f and a -80f dew point. -70F returns a dew point of 23F at 3500 psi. A -80F dew point returns a 8F dew point at 3500 psi. One I can live with, one will give me problems. I kept getting little rust spots on the bottom of my tanks. Finally realized that transporting them in temperatures below 20F could do that. I added a section of coiled stainless line in a refrigerated glycol filled tank after the compressor and I feel it made a difference. I have to be careful not to drop the glycol down to 32F because ice forms in the line and no air comes out.

Not pumping my own air and no idea what the dewpoint of the air I get would be (would the shop know if I asked?), but:

You sure are making me think about what temperature to keep my tanks in over the winter and if maybe bringing them out of the cold garage (where they have a nice sbungeed to the wall / "rack of sorts" spot) into the warm house is not that dumb of a thought even so there their precence will be opinionated about by the significant other...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom