Manning Up Trip Planning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
A bunch of buddies and I do an annual trip for "manly" things. We've kayaked in Colorado, hiked Mt Whitney, nordic skied in VT, and a lot of other really fun, challenging things.

I was considering a trip to FL this year, with snorkeling and/or diving. Only a few of us are certified, so we may be relegated to snorkeling. I wanted to combine other activities, maybe surfing and sea kayaking.

I read that Cocoa Beach has some great surfing, but snorkeling/diving is better south of Jupiter. Does anyone have suggestions for a good location for several active and adventurous activities?

I don't think it's a stretch to say 'norkelen is goingto satisfy you guys.

Come down to Key Largo and y'all learn to dive through advanced and then visit some wrecks, awesome sport fishing charters and dive bars.

I know the exact guy to train you up and has a bunk house to operate of. PM me

My two cents.

My friends who surf have mentioned Jupiter and Boynton Beach in the past. There's a better time of year also, IDK when though.

There's some good boat dive options there. Here's the "manly" dive option our of Jupiter - Emerald Charters | Jupiter Scuba Diving at it's Best

Are you set on Florida? If not, I'd go to Hawaii.

Oahu or Maui has everything on your list on one island. Even dive operations that take snorkelers so all your friends can participate together. At Black Rock - a shore dive in Ka'anapaii good snorkelers can even drop down for a minute - the back of the cove is like 20' deep. There must be 10-15 shore dives at beaches that are also good snorkels - all those Snorkel Bon's locations are there for a reason.

We went out to Sharkfin off Lanai for an e-ticket drift dive around the outside - they may want advanced for that - snorkelers on the boat stayed in the bay and played with the octopii. They probably had more fun than we did.

<manly? There's Tiger Sharks off Olawalu Beach. I actually would not snorkel there though - your profile on the surface looks like a turtle - their favorite thing.

Divers cab also dive with the Hammerheads off Molokai (from Maui) not the snorkelers though as it's blue water diving.

Also Molokini Crater is a destination for both from South Maui.. Pride of Maui does a combo snorkel/dive/bbq - with Trilogy Charters you can also help sail the boat. Both operations also offer SNUBA for your non-certified friends.

Inside the crater is shallow snorkeling anyone can do, the Backwall is an advanced dive.

Parasailing, hangliding, ATV rentals, Jetskis, kitesurfing, sea kayaking, on Oahu you can help paddle a multi-person canoe through the surf. All sorts of hiking, jeep tours, helicopter tours, etc.

Long flight from VA though.

A bunch of buddies and I do an annual trip for "manly" things. We've kayaked in Colorado, hiked Mt Whitney, nordic skied in VT, and a lot of other really fun, challenging things.

I was considering a trip to FL this year, with snorkeling and/or diving. Only a few of us are certified, so we may be relegated to snorkeling. I wanted to combine other activities, maybe surfing and sea kayaking.

I read that Cocoa Beach has some great surfing, but snorkeling/diving is better south of Jupiter. Does anyone have suggestions for a good location for several active and adventurous activities?

Cocoa Beach does have some of the best surfing in FL (Home of Kelly Slater) and Key Largo is the place to go and do some dive training/super dives. Great shops to learn from as well as wrecks/reef diving, enjoy!!!

Never thought of any of those as "manly" activities. Just sayin'.

When surfing is good in FL, diving and snorkeling usually are not. I used to dive out of Jupiter and on days it was too rough for the boats, watch the surfers at the Juno Beach pier. On days that diving was good, you usually won't find surfers.

You are right about Cocoa, while I don't surf, friends that do say its the best in Florida. With that said, I still saw surfers in the SE FL in the winter when conditions were right.

You guys have some really great ideas. WISH that we could go to Hawaii, but we have to work within several time and budget constraints. Diving with sharks would be very manly, though!

We only have 2-1/2 days to do stuff, and although I'd love to dive, only a few of us are certified, and we don't have the time for guys to cert. Is there such a thing as "extreme snorkeling"??? ha.

@sportxlh has a great point about surfing and diving/snorkeling not usually being compatible.

Any suggestions on how to mix certified/non cert guys in one dive trip? There will be about 15-20 of us.

Diving in Jupiter for sharks requires Nitrox certification on top of being good experienced divers. That said, Jupiter has some very good diving with or without sharks. I'm not sure that you will see sharks while snorkeling here though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom