Wing and Octopus position

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Time to change

As others have mentioned in this post, and as anyone who has been under an actual “donate“ situation, what gets donated is actually the primary. Few people are under Duress and stress and able to think through signing that they are out of air and would like to “borrow“ your secondary. The reality is they grab your primary out of your mouth.

You should practice this, you should train for this, you should plan for this.

In whatever situation is easiest for you, build your new set up, and practice with a buddy these different donate scenarios. It will become second nature very quickly.
Ok I understand and I will, but just not now.

Why did you ask?
Because it is dangling a bit, at the moment it seems that the best I can do is to tuck it in the d ring but that uses a lot of space on the ring.

Thought that there must be something better.

I could make a small bungee ring that I would put on the harness with the d ring for the octo.

Just pointing out that if the 22inch is too short this is probably because of hose routing and which ports are being used for the hoses.

The OP probably has a primary on the front right and the short hose behind that on the back right which directs it backwards at first.

You need to have the 22in hose on the front right port and then your primary (which would be a much longer hose) goes out the back right and down your back under your arm.

Note how the hoses are attached to the first stage in the photo shared earlier in this thread:
Wing and Octopus position

There is, but you disapprove of it.
I don’t disapprove it, I am looking for something in the meantime.

It is fairly clear if you read the conversation. I know that there is better and I’ll get there but that’s not my question. I even acknowledge it if you bother reading.

Thanks for the feedback

Sorry if I mis-read, but I can't imagine anything easier, cheaper, or more effective than a piece of stretchy cord with a knot on each end and held to the regulator with a simple, dirt cheap zip-tie. Takes 1 to 2 minutes (and I'm slow).

Another solution, assuming you just want to keep that secondary hose length for now, is to just route that under your right arm, double the hose and insert it in the right d-ring. It won't kink the hose and has enough friction to stay there, but it's easy to pull out in an emergency.

Sorry if I mis-read, but I can't imagine anything easier, cheaper, or more effective than a piece of stretchy cord with a knot on each end and held to the regulator with a simple, dirt cheap zip-tie. Takes 1 to 2 minutes (and I'm slow).
Thanks that’s useful because I was about to do this but I thought I might ask: sometimes something that sounds logical could cause more issues than what it tries to fix.

Sorry for the rant above !

Time to change

As others have mentioned in this post, and as anyone who has been under an actual “donate“ situation, what gets donated is actually the primary. Few people are under Duress and stress and able to think through signing that they are out of air and would like to “borrow“ your secondary. The reality is they grab your primary out of your mouth.

You should practice this, you should train for this, you should plan for this.

In whatever situation is easiest for you, build your new set up, and practice with a buddy these different donate scenarios. It will become second nature very quickly.

Your comment about getting the primary taken is often cited, but the BSAC Incident Reports don’t support the scenario. Incident reports clearly show OOG divers do what they were originally trained to do. Therefore, snatching the reg out of your mouth is likely a result of poor training or someone whom was taught primary take (i.e. those taught buddy breathing on a single reg).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom