Marine Park "Nature Fee" increases to $40 effective January 1, 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wwguy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
STINAPA just announced an increase in the annual Bonaire National Marine Park (BNMP) nature fee.

Effective January 1, 2019:
  • The scuba diving tag will increase from $25 to $40.
  • The non-diver watersports tag will increase from $10 to $25.
  • The one-day user fee has been eliminated.
  • The thousands of passengers disgorging daily from cruise ships pay nothing.
  • Residents and children under 12 years old continue to be exempt.
  • The last price increase was 13 years ago.
On their Facebook page STINAPA says:
"... the Public Entity a few days ago issued an Island Decree to, after 13 years, raise the rate of the nature fee, which is the admission tourists pay for access to the natural resources that belong to the people of Bonaire. Not to tourists, not to businesses. To the people, and no one else.

Our funding mechanism requires visitors to contribute to the upkeep of our natural resources they have come to enjoy. This protects the Bonairian tax payer and ensures our nature doesn’t get squandered.

It is a system we should all be proud of and defend."

I say that any funding mechanism that taxes a minority userbase (divers) in favor of a free pass for a greater number of users (cruisers) is fundamentally flawed. The issue isn't the expense, but rather who is paying for it and how the funds will be used. Under this new fee structure, it appears that they've increased taxes for Peter in order to pay for Paul's impact on the island.

Certainly don't like this! Agree the island has suffered under the arrival of cruise shippers ('pod people' as we affectionately refer to them, sarcasm dripping). Thinking maybe the cruise ships & the island cut a side deal to increase the per passenger rate and eliminate the daily tag fee? Because let's face it - who ever heard of a governing body giving up a revenue stream. I read somewhere/sometime that Bonaire had one of the lowest passenger fees. I think they were around $3US and some other islands were $6-7US. But the source escapes me.

well..... damn.

This very day I was planning our Bonaire trip for next June with my lovely bride and young daughter who is home for a visit. My plan was to get all 5 of us (+ new grandbaby) down for 2-3 weeks.

I've never let the cost of a Bonaire trip influence me - just paid the freight and happy to do it. Year after year after year. The escalating crime never gave me pause either.

But this just gets under my skin. It's not the $15. That's beer/tip money.

It's the idea that official Bonaire feels like it's ok to take advantage of the 1-2-3 week visitors. After all, it is just beer money, and they'll pay.

No.

I'm not easily offended. In fact I've been called an equal opportunity offender, but the tone of the FB post quoted above just pisses me off.

We'll be (sadly, but somewhat angrily as well) going somewhere else.

In one of those crime threads I said the day would come when that final straw would be loaded onto the camel. The day has come.

(dammit wwguy, you didn't have to post that TODAY and get me all stirred up)

lol, so if I buy it on Dec 31, 2018 for $25, will it still be valid for the first week in Jan 2019?

and it would be funny BTW if they said the $15 increase is earmarked for law enforcement.

Increasing fees over time is something that seems obvious given inflation. However, excluding the group who probably has the most (negative) impact on the environment that this fee supposedly funds protection of is offensive. They should charge the cruise ship visitors just as they do divers.

Reactions: gbf
Sadly its another reason to pass on Bon. There are a lot of beautiful places you can dive without paying for a park pass. It was never the shelling out of $100 (family 4) just to get in a dive that bothered me it was requiring an orientation every year even when you have been to the island many times, have hundreds of dives worth of experience and there is nothing new to inform you during the orientation. Just another obstacle in the land of dive freedom.

We'll be (sadly, but somewhat angrily as well) going somewhere else.

In one of those crime threads I said the day would come when that final straw would be loaded onto the camel. The day has come.

(dammit wwguy, you didn't have to post that TODAY and get me all stirred up)

I'm with you brother. We'll be arriving on Bonaire a week from today for our 10th annual 3 week Christmas trip, which will likely be our last trip for the foreseeable future. At the end of this trip we'll have spent (literally) a total of 37 weeks on Bonaire over the past 21 years. I think it's time to look for someplace else to spend our hard-earned vacation time and money.

We love Bonaire, but she hasn't been loving us back for quite a while now. Island government and TCB (the tourism board) are trying to create a tourism industry that will most likely destroy everything that makes Bonaire so special.

Below are some pertinent snippets quoted from the Executive Summary section of TCB's recently published Strategic Tourism Plan (bold font added by me for emphasis):

"Currently, the tourism industry underperforms for the economic welfare of the majority of Bonaire’s residents. Although the tourism industry could provide Bonaire with economic opportunities for the majority of residents, the professional opportunities linked to tourism have not transpired. This is largely due to two main reasons. The first reason being that natural conservation efforts have displaced development that could provide professional and educational opportunities for Bonairians. This has resulted in a dilution of Bonairian culture where nearly 60% of the island’s population was not born in Bonaire. Bonairians have transplanted to other countries to seek opportunities. The second reason is that the tourism sector does not contribute to the economic wellbeing of the majority of residents but rather contributes to a select few."

"Many residents and industry stakeholders feel that the tourism industry can direct and improve the future of the island. In order for this to occur, there must be changes in the distribution of the economic benefits to increase their reach to local households; as well as the industry must be capable of stimulating changes in Bonairians’ quality of life."

"While Bonaire has struggled with the concept of growth, it is clear that the local people would like to see continued tourism development"

"The plan also addresses prominent challenges that Bonaire’s tourism industry will face when converting the tourism industry into an economic engine that serves all of Bonaire. These challenges include: a significant increase in competition within the Caribbean, Bonaire’s competitive position has waned over time, an underperforming mainstay tourist segment (scuba divers), the need for a diversified tourism product portfolio, inadequate pricing of eco-tourism related activities, the need for an improved accommodation sector, and improved accessibility."

"The tourism industry is expected to become the most strategic sector in the local economy by 2021, reaching nearly 45% from its current 20% level of the total economy."

"This plan aims to increase tourist arrivals by 60,000 from its baseline of 140,000 to 200,000 arrivals over the next ten years. This growth entails a 5% increase per year on average."

"The attraction of these additional 60,000 new arrivals should support the objective of converting Bonaire to a high-end destination, which means that at least 20,000 arrivals should stay in four star hotels on the island. These four star hotels should include in total at least 600 new hotel rooms."

"While Bonaire’s focus on natural conservation strategies and efforts has delivered a positive sustainable image for Bonaire there has also been some unintended consequences. That is, the central focus on sustainability was defined as environmental protection without sustainable consideration for people’s welfare. In other words, the narrow focus on the environment has stunted development to the detriment of the local population."

"However, there are some major challenges facing Bonaire’s tourism industry. Competition within the Caribbean has significantly increased while Bonaire’s competitive position seems to have waned over time. This may be due to the underperformance of Bonaire’s mainstay market segment (divers). The diving market is not sufficiently growing to carry the island’s economy forward. The accommodation sector is in urgent need of updating its current inventory. And, the destination is lacking a more diversified tourism product portfolio."

"Furthermore, Bonaire’s tourism activities rely on the consumption of natural resources, which by their nature are public or free goods that are based on an unlimited use of environmental assets. These natural assets are mainly unpriced and are subject to overuse and abuse. The stagnating diving segment , the constraints and the costs incurred by the sustainable model, the mainly free consumption of natural resources and under leveraging of nature, and the need for new opportunities converge at a challenging crossroad. The destination is underselling the value of its product."

"For too long Bonaire’s development vision was grounded on a narrow vision of nature first. This narrow vision has shaped and hindered the frontier of possibility for Bonairians. The time has come to broaden this vision for people and nature to live in harmony by way of a blue economy."

There's more, but I'm too bummed out to keep reading, copying, and pasting. You all probably get the gist by now, but feel free to read through it for yourselves.

Wow. Now if that isn't the nail in coffin I don't know what is.

Back
Top Bottom