Nautilus Lifeline

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOAH!!!! WAIT A MINUTE!!! Seriously dude, I need to know if you are telling the truth. Im about to buy both and I have zero licences or permits to be a damn hamm shortwave radio operator.

I am NOT going to get permits to use these distress beacons. I need people to chime in here. Is this guy on the level? I dont want to shell out five hundred dollars and find out this is a scam

Yup, at least in Europe its no yoke. Im sailing as a captain at the dutch merchant navy and got my full GMDSS license 25y ago. You’ve got a limited version where you’re allowed to use all gmdss equipment exept immnarsat. (Not sure) and a VHF licence.
US regulations can be different but GMDSS equipment, use and operation is world wide regulated by the IMO party in SOLAS and partly in STCW if I’m correct.

You are using (hopefully not to often) an international designated shipping VHF frquency with the Lifeline. Thats most likely the reason the speech function has dissapeared. The dsc signal will trigger a full SAR search when picked up by a coast station. (Not likely due to the fact VHF is a line of sight radio signal and eye hight is nearly 0 when in the water and the limited power of the transmission.) so a very limited range can be expected.
If a lifeline needs to be set-up at the mmsi number of the diveboat (so the message will only be picked up by the designated VHF-DSC.) this means you’re sending a personal message towards 1 vessel with your ID and the gps pos? May-be thats an exception in regards of operator licences.
A 406mhz Epirb or plb is again working at a designated emergency frequency for shipping. Sending out a signal being picked up by a sat Shot into space many years ago for safety at sea.
Not sure if you need an operators licence for it. A registration will be needed because it sends out a number and without a name attached to it a coastal station can’t and will not do anything.

You’ve also got 121.5mhz plb’s they are working on the air band if I’m correct.

And there are “portable” sarts available thats a radar transponder sending back a radar signa when hit by one (radar signal)

Good luck in the search of your local regulations or loopholes.
A lifeline and/or personal epirb can be a very handy piece of equipment when needed!!

My personal license. Herewith I’m allowed to operate all shipping\GMDSS radio equipment world wide.
F50864B2-B3EB-4035-AB9F-47EC36B8C7DF.jpeg

2585DE8A-527C-4899-89A1-8BFC24ACC069.jpeg

And the license for the vessel itself including the equipment to be used on board.

Attachments

• 191B3DB5-6B57-43A8-9F60-45AEE22E5F42.jpeg
    191B3DB5-6B57-43A8-9F60-45AEE22E5F42.jpeg
    79.3 KB · Views: 100
WOAH!!!! WAIT A MINUTE!!! Seriously dude, I need to know if you are telling the truth. Im about to buy both and I have zero licences or permits to be a damn hamm shortwave radio operator.

I am NOT going to get permits to use these distress beacons. I need people to chime in here. Is this guy on the level? I dont want to shell out five hundred dollars and find out this is a scam
In the USA and US waters you can operate a lifeline legally. You need to register it to enable and use the "emergency" feature. If it's a newer model, it ONLY has the emergency feature. In other countries, they legislate rules about radio transmitters as they see fit. The way I see it, if I'm lost at sea I'd rather go to jail (or more likely, pay a tiny fine) than die in the ocean.

Realistically.. it's 5 watts? You're not likely to cause anyone any concern with it unless you're using it inside of a hospital or other sensitive area... Or maybe the local law enforcement guy wants you dead because you hooked up with his sister or something...

That said, PLB is kind of a universal boating thing. You're less likely to have a legal problem with a PLB. It's better in every way except maybe the pricetag and you must source your own dive housing which can be expensive (or makeshift).

I carry a lifeline radio. It's registered for a US MMSI #. I would not hesitate to use it somewhere that it was illegal to do so if I was in a real emergency situation. Not even a little. I'd rather have a real PLB but so far, I haven't ponied up the cashola.

--"Same as if younwould like a VHF on your boat you need an operator license and a installation permit/licence."

-- "Radios are supposed to be registered to a 'craft' but the government were allowing individuals to register. But now, I hear that the policy has changed"

Regulations vary by country, unless there is something bigger (international treaty) that makes them conform. Since PLBs and EPIRBs are operated with the COSPAS/SARSAT system, it is possible that there is a requirement as to what licensing or registration fee is ALLOWED.

If someone is operating a boat for commercial purposes, there are always fees. If the business can't afford some radio licensing...do I really want to go out on a boat that has a problem getting basic safety equipment? Personally, no.

In the US, the FCC specifically allowed VHF radio licenses to be issued for "portable" use. Meaning, typically, you're a delivery captain or a racing crew and you need or want a licensed radio, but you will be traveling from boat to boat with it. Yes, I have an old FCC VHF license that states PORTABLE on it, it is assigned to ME and not to a boat.

The MMSI rules changed also. After much discussion the ITU changed MMSI numbers and classes. There is a new (year old?) category for devices that are "MOB equipment" meaning the device is intended to be attached to a person in distress in the water--not necessarily to a boat. The NEW equipment can be registered that way, because they are manufactured compliant to that standard. But in the case of Nautilus, the first generation equipment cannot be re-registered to the new standard, even though the second gen equipment can be. (That's how they explained it to me when I asked about converting to the new standard.)

Rules fo tend to change from time to time, and always from place to place.

Also do remember: It may take 45 minutes for a PLB/EPIRB signal to be received, at all. And another two or three hours for assets to be activated--if they're available. Versus "RIGHT NOW" if there are DSC equipped vessels in the area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom