Mayan Style

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fabasard

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I know this is "Off topic" but I went diving in Cancun about 23 years ago, I know "That's a long time to wait to bring this up...", but I stayed at a place called Rancho Libertad. We did some diving and the dive instructor did some spearfishing. I don't know the type of fish, I don't know where we speared them at, but we got back and he gave the fish to some locals, who were servicing both Rancho Libertad and the hotel next to RL, and told them to cook it up "Mayan Style". What they brought back was nothing short of God worthy. What is the recipe to cook fish "Mayan Style"? The hotel was a couples resort, couldn't even tell you the name. Please, for the love of all that is holy, what is the recipe?

I know this is "Off topic" but I went diving in Cancun about 23 years ago, I know "That's a long time to wait to bring this up...", but I stayed at a place called Rancho Libertad. We did some diving and the dive instructor did some spearfishing. I don't know the type of fish, I don't know where we speared them at, but we got back and he gave the fish to some locals, who were servicing both Rancho Libertad and the hotel next to RL, and told them to cook it up "Mayan Style". What they brought back was nothing short of God worthy. What is the recipe to cook fish "Mayan Style"? The hotel was a couples resort, couldn't even tell you the name. Please, for the love of all that is holy, what is the recipe?
You didn't stay in Cancun. You stayed in Puerto Morelos. Pauls shop, Wetset was just across the fence by the Caribbean Reef Club. All of that spearfishing was illegal, and fun. I have no idea of the recipe.

sweet Jesus that was good food, still the best to this day. Is Paul's shop still there, is Rancho Libertad? Thanks.

sweet Jesus that was good food, still the best to this day. Is Paul's shop still there, is Rancho Libertad? Thanks.
Name change on Rancho Rancho Sak-Ol - Charming Beachfront Inn located in Puerto Morelos, Mexico - Home. Paul sold his shop about 5 years ago. The shop you dove from and part of Caribbean Reef Club were destroyed in a hurricane years ago and Paul moved to the Ojo de Agua hotel downtown.
Our first two nights in Puerto Morelos in 1997 were at Rancho Libertad and then we went walking down the beach until we found Ojo de Agua and spent the rest of our first week in Puerto Morelos there. We dove with Paul pretty much every year from '97 till he sold. We dove with Wetset 1 time after he sold but nothing was the same. Back in the beginning Paul said " I dive every morning at 9. If you want to dive, be here." Boy did he like to dive!

We will be back in PM Jan 14.

We broke some rules back then. I was still wet behind the ears, didn't know any better. Please send me pictures of RL, when you go, (they used to do drum circle there). It was paradise. He took out some "clothing optional divers" from there the week I was there, so long ago. I still get a kick outta that. The "Shop" I dove from was a tikki shack, I swear, if I remember correctly, it was nothing more than a stand on the beach.

We broke some rules back then. I was still wet behind the ears, didn't know any better. Please send me pictures of RL, when you go, (they used to do drum circle there). It was paradise. He took out some "clothing optional divers" from there the week I was there, so long ago. I still get a kick outta that. The "Shop" I dove from was a tikki shack, I swear, if I remember correctly, it was nothing more than a stand on the beach.
Yep, just a palapa on the beach. Caribbean Reef Club was "clothing optional" back then. You didn't get a dive in with "Fluffy" and her group did you? I heard a story about "Fluffy".
We had been diving cold water for 12 years when we met Paul. He taught us to really dive. I can remember hanging on the buoy line at Puentes with about 200 psi in my tank and my Oceanic right next to the red, and Paul dropping back down to 60 feet to spear another fish. Then he held at 20 feet or so until he ran out of air and came up. All I knew is I wanted to extend my safety stop as long as I could.

The "Zebra" is still in use but I don't know if it is the same boat, looks the same. Here it is on Google Earth.
Google Maps

The fish you ate was probably Bocinetti, Hogfish.

Nah, never did dive with Fluffy, PM me the story, dying to know. When I was down there I was a total newb. We did a dive, I was still uncertified and he told he to stay at 50 feet so if there was a problem the DM on the boat could dive down and get me, they all went to 125 and looked at stuff. I am floating midwater 50' down, alone, and for some reason the dun dun from jaws pops in my head. THAT dive was OVER! surfaced and called it a day. Now I am training for my own DM course.

“Mayan Style” fish usually means Fish Tikin Xic. Achiote and sour orange are the key ingredients. Just Google it and you can find recipes.

I have had occasions to eat freshly killed fish after a day of outdoor activity usually over an open fire. Sometimes on a beach in NC. Sometimes up a mountain in Montana or Colorado. It always tasted awesome and better than any restaraunt.

I have had occasions to eat freshly killed fish after a day of outdoor activity usually over an open fire. Sometimes on a beach in NC. Sometimes up a mountain in Montana or Colorado. It always tasted awesome and better than any restaraunt.
that's because you worked for it and probably had an empty stomach. My favorite time to eat is after working for it. i have had many fish grilled on a beach in NC. I used to take a bunch of people from my platoon to camp off of the neuse river near oriental beach in some national forest. We would have bonfires at night after fishing during the day.

EDIT: i did some google maps digging. it was actually just north of morehead city on harlowe creek...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom