DIVE DRY WITH DR. BILL #791: SEX CHANGE... NO THANKS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
DIVE DRY WITH DR. BILL #791: SEX CHANGE... NO THANKS

No, I'm not announcing that I'm going to undergo one. I'm quite happy being a male and only wish there were more females who would be happy with me. Or even a mermaid that would succumb to my charms! However, there are some interesting sex changes occuring out there in Mother Ocean. I'm not talking about sequential hermaphrodites like the California sheephead that begin as girls but turn into men later in life.

A recent study of green sea turtles (Chelonia mydas) in Australia has produced some disturbing results. This research was conducted by a team of marine biologists from NOAA, the California State Universities and the Worldwide Fund for Nature Australia. They investigated two populations of the turtles on the Great Barrier Reef in Australia, one in the northern portion and one in the southern region of the GBR.

The gender of sea turtles is affected by the temperature at which the eggs are incubated in the sand nests. This is known as temperature-dependent sex determination (TSD). In this species, eggs incubated at temperatures below about 82° F become males and those developing in temperatures above about 88° F become females. The temperature difference between the northern (warmer) and southern (cooler) GBR regions is significant in determining the sex ratio in green turtle populations.

The researchers, led by Michael P. Jensen and Camryn D. Allen, found striking differences in the sex ratios of the two populations. In the cooler southern GBR, females made up a somewhat higher proportion (65-69%) of the population while in the warmer northern GBR females almost totally dominated at 99% in hatchlings. Even the adults showed an 87% dominance of females, indicating this has been going on for more than one generation. It only takes a difference of a few degrees in ambient temperature to cause such shifts.

A major concern of these researchers is the impact global warming may have in future generations. Yes, global warming is a FACT. And for those who don't believe that, may I emphasize that the Earth is NOT flat! Of course what it will cause is still open to speculation. We have models that predict Planet Ocean will be 2.6° C (about 4.7° F) warmer by 2100 AD. I emphasize that these are models and the predictions they forecast may not be 100% accurate. However, it is a well documented FACT that global temperatures are increasing over modern time and if that continues, it could bring about serious problems for species like the green sea turtle.

Increasing temperature affects turtle eggs in two important ways. I have already outlined the way increasing temperature can shift the sex ratio toward the female end of a population. Another serious impact is that higher temperatures also increase egg mortality. Thus, if the temperatures in this region continue to increase, fewer turtles will survive the egg stage and more of them will be female.

Now in my biology classes years ago, I often pointed out that it usually takes "two to tangle" and thereby procreate. In populations where individuals pair off and are essentially monogamous, a sex ratio of about 1:1 male-to-female is important unless you want to leave some behind. In sea turtles, males are often polygynous and mate with several different females so a lower number of males might not be as important a factor. However, when ladies comprise 99% of the population, the 1% of males would probably succumb to extreme exhaustion.

Males from a population tend to mate close to the beaches where they hatched. Therefore males from the southern population are unlikely to venture "way up north" to mate with the abundance of ladies there. In addition, due to this site fidelity to their original beaches, turtles are less likely to colonize new, cooler areas where their sex ratios may become more balanced.

Those who believe in evolution (yes, its a theory but with plenty of supporting evidence) might suggest that it will take care of this problem. However, the rate of global temperature change is fairly rapid compared to geologic time and turtle evolution is a slow process given that these turtles aren't sexually mature until about 25 years old. This makes it unlikely they will adapt evolutionarily given the rate of temperature change. This species is also threatened and this will most likely make their status even worse.

Back in 2001 I dove the GBR out of Cairns, Australia. I was able to hover in the waters of Norman Reef and watch from a "distance" of two feet as a green sea turtle chowed down on marine algae. That experience led to my getting my first underwater video rig when I returned to Catalina. It would be a real shame if future generations were not able to experience such events.

© 2018 Dr. Bill Bushing. For the entire archived set of nearly 800 "Dive Dry" columns, visit my website Star Thrower Educational Multimedia (S.T.E.M.) Home Page

Image caption: Green sea turtles.

DDDB 791 turtle girls sm.jpg

Bill.
As always a very interesting and informative post,,,Thank You!

Some years ago ther was a number of turtle sighting in SoCal

Every Thanksgiving for many years running you basic instructor and my best friend and diving buddy Ron Merker and I would go for an early morning dive to increase our appetites while the meal was being prepared at home.

One particular Thanksgiving as I recall about 1966-or 1967 we dove Wood Cove in South Laguna
during the dive we both saw either the same turtle or several turtles...on occasion skittish but also on occasion curious .

The same year Al Carpenter, a very active and popular LA Co UW instructor captured a 60 + pound turtle which he donated to then very active Marineland in PV-- I have a picture of Al and the turtle some where???

There was ? is? a 1100 pound leather back turtle mounted in the San Pedro museum .. It was captured locally during the depression and as a WPA project mounted -- By Harry Vetter's father -- Harry is a vintage LA Co UW instructor and NAUI instructor #4 - the lowest NAUI number

Cheers
Sam Miller, III.

Some years ago ther was a number of turtle sighting in SoCal

Every Thanksgiving for many years running you basic instructor and my best friend and diving buddy Ron Merker and I would go for an early morning dive to increase our appetites while the meal was being prepared at home.

One particular Thanksgiving as I recall about 1966-or 1967 we dove Wood Cove in South Laguna
during the dive we both saw either the same turtle or several turtles...on occasion skittish but also on occasion curious .

The same year Al Carpenter, a very active and popular LA Co UW instructor captured a 60 + pound turtle which he donated to then very active Marineland in PV-- I have a picture of Al and the turtle some where???

There was ? is? a 1100 pound leather back turtle mounted in the San Pedro museum .. It was captured locally during the depression and as a WPA project mounted -- By Harry Vetter's father -- Harry is a vintage LA Co UW instructor and NAUI instructor #4 - the lowest NAUI number

Cheers
Sam Miller, III.

About two years ago five green turtles were seen at the same time in Lover's Cove. They are occasionally seen in the dive park and elsewhere around the island.

I follow your reports -- every week I eagerly await a new exciting creature you have seen in the park followed by a very interesting description
I cant recall a mention by you or the multitude of readers of spotting a turtle - in the park or at Catalina

If possible can you post additional details of the spotting's

SDM,III

I follow your reports -- every week I eagerly await a new exciting creature you have seen in the park followed by a very interesting description
I cant recall a mention by you or the multitude of readers of spotting a turtle - in the park or at Catalina

If possible can you post additional details of the spotting's

SDM,III

There have been a number of turtle sightings in Catalina waters, especially during warm water episodes. The five in Lover's Cove were spotted by one of the semi-submersible captains. I saw one at Long Point years ago and wrote about it back in 2008 (Star Thrower Educational Multimedia (S.T.E.M.) Dive Dry Column). I can remember at least four sightings of unidentified turtles in the dive park over the past decade.

Since there is a resident population of green turtles down in San Diego, it isn't that far a swim for them to get here to chow down on our algae. They don't seem to over winter, just stay here during the warmer seasons.

@drbill
Ron and I spotted one - or many on that Thanksgiving so many years ago -- It might have been a warm winter of a turtle on its way south-- That year there seemed to be sighting everywhere in the south land

I question how much the warming is and will change the oceans and their resident marine life? Will hawksbills and leatherbacks be the norm in the future ?

I suspect time will tell

Sam
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
@MaxBottomtime
"None of them are mine. I simply looked up the term "turtle Catalina" on Google and there were a lot of hits. It's the World's largest library. "

I have a friend who teaches a component of Library science at Cal Poly @Slo . One of his assignments is to have students research a particular subject using the university library. They go to goggle which contains totally erroneous information-- they who use the google fail that assignment . The lesson is not everything on google is correct

In the diving world one needs only to google the dive flag for totally erroneous absolutely false information.

Hombre you efforts and numerus posts are appreciated -- keep on googling and posting

Sam Miller, 111

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom