Ultima Dry Glove System question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A2F6230A-6984-46FD-8CBF-5FFE571A1B61.jpeg
Here is a picture with the sitech oval ring installed in the suit. You can see the cut edge were I trimmed back the sleeve a bit to get the ring in. The contact cement is setting up for the Velcro as I write. The sleeve is clearly about 3/8 bigger after I removed the Velcro and cut back the sleeve. The Velcro overlapped that much, but the edges just meet when I dry fitted before applying the glue. I’ll post up a few more pictures as I progress.

Awesome, awesome, and awesome! :)

Thanks for the inspiration seajay. I put my arm in the suit to make sure the two layers were aligned. And without a wrist seal, I was kind of feeling it, and thought, hey, this would be nice.

It IS nice. :)

I'd have kept the wrist seals if they did me any good... But they don't. Like... They're totally worthless to me. Back when I used them (with wet gloves), I pretty much came up every dive with soaked arms.

Now that I've gone with the drygloves, my arms are warm and dry. I literally don't bother with wrist seals anymore... Which makes donning and doffing really super nice. :)

Requires a dependable glove, though... Which is why I love the SHOWA 720s.

Reactions: Zef
Seajay, where are you purchasing your 720s from?

I am still on the pair that SHOWA sent me....I actually have 2 pair, the size XL that I am diving now and the XXL set that they sent as well. The XL felt a bit small (as in form fitting) when I first starting using them but they stretch and sort of break-in to your hand. I have no issues wearing the yellow fuzzy liners that come with the 495s with them.

As mentioned previously I am playing around with different liner gloves. Yesterday I used a set of what I think are polypro liner gloves from EMS that I use under my ski gloves. That did not work very well. They worked great out of the water but as the gloves compressed/squeezed at depth (9c-10c) they did not offer much thermal protection. My hands were not uncomfortably cold but they were cooler than the weekend before with the yellow acrylic liners from the SHOWA 495 gloves. Perhaps for when it is 5-6 degrees warmer these gloves will work well but then I have those magic stretch gloves that were working well in slightly warmer water temps. There are some gloves made by Sirius that are supposed to be warm and waterproof...a fleece lining bonded to a thin neoprene covering, I saw them at the base exchange and might pick a pair up, I think they go for about $20.

-Z

We have sponsorships with SHOWA, Ansell, and Superior Glove... All three of those guys send us free gloves all the time... So truth be told, I haven't bought gloves in two or three years.

...Except this last time. I did a Google search for the SHOWA 720s and bought via Google shopping from US Safety. I think that they were $6 or $7 or so. I bought three pairs of them and with shipping it was like $29. Took a week or two though... If I had to purchase again, it'd probably be from Zoro. Same prices... Much faster shipping.

I've been diving for the past week or two with the Fourth Element Xerotherm underglove... And really like it, even though the water temperature is only upper 50's and I normally wear no underglove at all. It's been pleasant and soft and warm to have them... And not at all bulky.

Man am I getting spoiled. :) For many years I dove wet in these conditions... Now I'm dry and just plain ol' snuggly. :)

I'm going to have to start trying out different undergloves to see what I like. :)

I put a set of 720s on my spare set of rings today. One glove was holed due to our pet raccoon (yes really) getting a hold of it... While the other was full of epoxy and showing some wear. I had a leak on that glove a week or two ago, so I just figured it would be a good time for the $3 change. :)

Anyway... I was able to install the gloves by hand with no tools at all. Took just a couple of minutes

Maybe I should do a video.

Reactions: Zef
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom