DMT - advice choosing between my top picks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scorp1109

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone, I don’t have many dive connects thus far, so your opinions are greatly appreciated!
I have narrowed down my DMT to a couple options and wondering thoughts/opinions on the cause they all have pros/cons:
Ideally I want to intern somewhere, get the best training possible, and set myself up for the most career opportunities. I’d rather learn above and beyond and give more time and possibly pay a hair more than half ass it or take an easy/cheap way out and cut corners. Not sure if I want more Eco or Tourist at this point. Drawn to warm water, a variety of marine life and the big things (mantas/whale sharks/whales/dolphins... as I’m sure most people are), and I’d definitely not a party girl, but I’m an extrovert so some social aspects but a relaxed vibe would be ideal.
Anyway, current thoughts are:

1. Koh Tao - Roctopus
Pro - EcoDivemaster 3mo intern - duel cert., well known, relaxed yet fun atmosphere. And I’ve gotten the best vibes of all the places I’ve talked to from them. Job potential after.
Cons: the reputation that “everyone goes to Koh Tao”

2. Philippines - Marine Conservation
Pros - scientific specialty that involves advanced - above an beyond training both in dive techniques and Biology
Cons - all science focus, no view of the industry as a whole/tourist perspective.

I also liked the companies Scuba Junkie in Komodo based on location and the currents might make for great training, but that’s 6weeks no intern, no above Eco training and no after direct job potential based on visas. Malapascua in the Philippines, but when I wrote them it seemed more business-y and sell-ish, so as silly as a weird vibe sounds it didn’t resonate with me.

Second question-
I do still need my rescue class. On one hand I think it would be great to diversify and take rescue in one place (day Komodo or Malapascua), and then do DMT elseware... but it seems like places want you to do everything with them, and I can understand the pros with that too, that they know you/learn you better, there’s a bigger personal investment since they have you for longer, consistency of training, and of course money savings.
Do you think it’s best to diversify or stay in one place?

Again, any opinions about any given places, experiences, specific operations, etc, all is very much appreciated!
Thank you!!

The title of your thread confuses the issue. DMT= Diver Medical Technician. If you meant Divemaster Trainee then DMC (divemaster candidate) would probably be a clearer acronym.

TC:
The title of your thread confuses the issue. DMT= Diver Medical Technician. If you meant Divemaster Trainee then DMC (divemaster candidate) would probably be a clearer acronym.

Tom, In many places DMT (Dive Master Trainee) is the correct term.

Regards

I agree, but it’s still confusing.

The acronym representing an actual certification would seem (to me) to take precedence over a “trainee” status.

If the OP wants a professional qualification then the DMT is an obvious choice.
If the OP is interested on Marine Conservation then the choice is also obvious.
Koh Tao or Komodo for DMT course? My vote is Komodo. Diving there is simply head and shoulder above what Koh Tao can offer.
As for getting employment afterward, that is another story.

I wouldn't do a DMT internship unless you're happy being used like a slave. Pay for quality and do it properly!

I was looking at it in terms of the Intership being good experience and then better looked upon to get a job after... vs just being out of the course looking for a job. I know there are places that work you like a slave, but not all of them... ... ... right?

In my experience most dive centres (if you're good) will offer you work afterwards, internship or not. Friends of mine who interned on Koh Lanta told me the would spend days handing out flyers on the beach - where i did my DMT it was all diving or learning about it, not harassing people on the beach to get them to do a DSD.

The place i'm working now would choose a DM who paid to do their DMT over those who did it for free pretty much every time, as they tend to be a lot more proficient.

In my experience most dive centres (if you're good) will offer you work afterwards, internship or not. Friends of mine who interned on Koh Lanta told me the would spend days handing out flyers on the beach - where i did my DMT it was all diving or learning about it, not harassing people on the beach to get them to do a DSD.

The place i'm working now would choose a DM who paid to do their DMT over those who did it for free pretty much every time, as they tend to be a lot more proficient.

I’ve only looked at paid places. None I’ve even found are free as trade, and I wouldn’t want to do that kind of work. Definitely want as much hands on and actual diving experience as possible. Roctopus, ScubaJunkie (in both Komodo and Sipadan- Sipadan more so cause they have an additional eco option) - seem to be at the top of my list currently. Thresher Shark Divers is on there too. And recently I’ve heard amazing things about Bali. Still researching. Open to ideas. I want amazing training/teachers, to dive awesome sites while learning, and get as much experience as possible in the process. Where did you do your DM, and where do you work now?
Thanks for the info and opinions :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom