Unusual encounters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A long time ago, I was metal detecting in almost 5 feet of water using scuba off the beach at Playa Azul. I had been underwater long enough, I guess, that the couple who entered from the beach and walked out to water up to their necks didn’t know I was there. The water was super clear and my regulator was bubbling, but they were apparently oblivious to my presence. As I was waving my detector in a sweeping motion, the guy almost stepped on me and I quickly moved away. I guess he saw my outline move against the white sand, or something, because he stuck his head underwater and looked around. I am sure his vision was blurry in the saltwater and it probably burned his eyes, too, since he immediately jerked his head up back out of the water. He had his arm around his wife and I figured they weren’t going anywhere after that, so I kept sweeping the sandy bottom with my detector. Pretty soon, I looked over and she had her bikini bottom off and he had his trunks around his ankles. I was about four feet away, so I stood up and said “Hi!” They freaked out, and she had to have him help find her bikini bottom so she could put it back on. They were both very embarrassed. I nearly choked, laughing so hard.

Ok, that's not what I was expecting to read! lol!!
But I think it is well qualified as an unusual encounter!

A long time ago, I was metal detecting in almost 5 feet of water using scuba off the beach at Playa Azul. I had been underwater long enough, I guess, that the couple who entered from the beach and walked out to water up to their necks didn’t know I was there. The water was super clear and my regulator was bubbling, but they were apparently oblivious to my presence. As I was waving my detector in a sweeping motion, the guy almost stepped on me and I quickly moved away. I guess he saw my outline move against the white sand, or something, because he stuck his head underwater and looked around. I am sure his vision was blurry in the saltwater and it probably burned his eyes, too, since he immediately jerked his head up back out of the water. He had his arm around his wife and I figured they weren’t going anywhere after that, so I kept sweeping the sandy bottom with my detector. Pretty soon, I looked over and she had her bikini bottom off and he had his trunks around his ankles. I was about four feet away, so I stood up and said “Hi!” They freaked out, and she had to have him help find her bikini bottom so she could put it back on. They were both very embarrassed. I nearly choked, laughing so hard.

Had a similar "encounter". On a dive that had an elevated entry/beach exit, as we finished the dive we swam under the line of floats (floating line??) across a narrow channel that marked the end of the swimming area for the beach-separating a 5 foot deep section from deeper water.In about 10 feet of water, we looked up to see a 20 something couple, ...um "coupling". Being a combination of fascinated/polite and/or depraved, the DM waited until they had finished, then tapped the guy on his ankle... yes embarrassment ensued.
(in the DM's defense, there was really no way around the couple without interrupting them.)

Exiting at dusk on secluded shorelines and coming up in cenotes to moonlight unannounced it's a regular occurrence enough that I've considered an aptly placed freeflowing reg might be the appropriate way to announce my presence?

Had a billfish of some kind cruise past me in the blue water a few weeks back. In sight for 40 seconds, maybe 5 minutes out from the wall in 40ft of water over the abbyss. Maybe 20ft away and easily longer than I am. My first.

Love the accounts of the things seen shallow!

Cameron

a couple years ago, I was diving with my GoPro on a stick. On our second dive, maybe San Clemente, not exactly sure, but a shallow dive, a small barracuda started following me, staying just about 3' off my right shoulder and just behind me.

I kept looking back every now and then to see if he was still with me ... he was, and I assumed it thought I was lionfish hunting and was looking for a hand out.

It stayed with me for about 3/4 of the dive and finally got fed up with not getting a "hand out" and buzzed me on my left side, slapping me in the shoulder with it's tail as it passed by. Cracked my up, but the young couple who were with us on the dive eyes were the size of frisbies! :D

15 years ago night dive at Paradise small Caribbean Reef shark about 2-3 feet swam right through Rauls legs. Raul was vertical. (since Raul is Mayan -- short legs) The shark totally filled up that space. Anyway we all hit him with the light beam and blinded the poor little thing and he swam right into a small coral head and knocked himself out. Raul quickly grabbed him and started to swim to get water through the gills. It took about 4-5 long minutes to revive it and he left with a good visible mark on his head.

The funny part was Rauls reaction when the shark's dorsal fin rubbed his manhood. We all were laughing really good until the shark hit the coral.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom