• Back plate and wing

Votes: 121 64.0%
  • Other, please designate below

Votes: 8 4.2%
  • Sidemount

Votes: 24 12.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Single-tank, back-mount. HP steel 100/120s.
OMS IQ soft pack w/ hard-plate slot
HOG 32lb wing
OMS 3-cavity quick-dump weight & utility pouches on both hips.
OMS SS backplate to put in pack-slot (unused as of yet, but going in for my newly arrived drysuit)

@scubadada Does the IQ pack & wing qualify as BP/W, Back-Inflate, or Other for your purposes?

I've just switched to BP/W after diving jacket BCs for years. To be honest I was pretty happy and comfortable in them and though I've seems many arguments here saying BP/W was a good way to go, I still bought a new jacket a couple of years ago when my Dacor (in the avatar pic) died.
However, my diving situation has changed and after adding a 19cf pony which my jacket BC could accommodate, I still felt I needed to get a bit more streamlined and less clutter. Hence, my switch to BP/W.
I have to admit, I wished I did this sooner, but as I always say, nothing before its time. I've only gone 4 dives, but it has left a really good impression. So comfortable and so much less around you.
As for streamline? This past weekend we were exploring a new site and the dive leader wanted to cover a good amount of ground before we turned, so he was going faster than 'my' frog kick could keep up. I started flutter kicking as I usually do with my previous setup and zoom, I shot straight past them. I was literally thinking, "what the...". It happened a few more times and I have to think it's the effect of having so much less around me.

I think what prevented me from considering this before was that I never saw it here in Jamaica until recently when an Expat dived with us and also the bad attitude of those that pushed it years ago which just eroded any trust that it was a genuinely good recommendation for me. Thankfully that seemed to have changed and maybe more people will try a BP/W now.

Oceanic Excursion - been using my current one for 8 years now. Prior to that used a Zeagle Ranger.

Like the looks of the Hollis HD200 - will give it a serious look when I need to replace my Oceanic.

Divegoose

What do you use for a BC?
Nothing, as in no BC. I've dove a simple harness with no BC for over a decade, and found that setup to be a delight with an AL80. Then I custom built a kit with streamlining, still no BC. That was amazing with cruise speeds in the 1.5 to 2 knot range, but I still wanted more. Now I'm using a handheld streamlined kit with a AL80 and a small 3.5 pound ballast tank and a DOL-Fin Orca Mk-2 monofin for propulsion. I cruise easily in the 2 to 3 knot range (2 knots intermittent kicking, 3 knots with relaxed but continuous kicking). I can hit speeds approaching 5 knots for short periods of time when I want to. The vastly expanded swimming capability has opened up a wide range of new opportunities for diving. The only downside is no one can go along with me.

I entered BC, BP/W and Sidemount as I dive all 3

I've used my Wing since Dive #30 so I guess it's my primary rig (although it's evolved over the years) and generally used with steel 15's

I like my BC (AL Axiom, generally used for teaching , but I don't mind diving it for guiding. It's easy to sling on, no real frills but really comfortable. I've even slung some deco cylinders on it. It wasn't' pretty, but a case of make it work or miss the dive.

SM is a new ish thing, I'd really happy with it. Generally for Tec but can be used at my whim instead of the wing. The disadvantage of my SM is just down to cylinder that I have at the moment not being a fan of Ali.

I used to be "evangelical" about a wing, for all the usual reasons. The fact is I'm happy to jump between one and the other sometimes on the same day.

Buoyancy is technique rather than pure gear. I can dive the BC over weighted just as accurately as my wing. So for me generally I'll dive what the dive needs or what I feel like (or have with me)

I dive vintage with no bc so voted other for that,
and voted back plate for when I'm in need of one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom