Moldable mouthpiece

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You poor things--- the mouth piece is too large and rubs on your gums

It is suggested that you stop purchasing the women's size mouth piece -- My red headed wife has the biggest mouth known to man or beast ….and needs super extra large

In the geneses of recreational diving we were spear fishermen and game collectors therefore did as lot of skin diving aka free diving using crude - or in my case homemade snorkels.

One affliction was " snorkel mouth" the rubbing of the snorkel on the mouth causing irritation or in some cases raw sores. We eliminated the " snorkel mouth" by trimming the mouth piece with scissors and smoothing it with the wife's common nail file.

I suspect many of you can solve your rubbing problems wit a pair of scissors and a nail file

Sam Miller, III

Any of you or your fuzzy faced instructors know who & what company introduced the molded mouth piece to the then small world of recreational diving ? sdm

Any of you or your fuzzy faced instructors know who & what company introduced the molded mouth piece to the then small world of recreational diving ? sdm
No, I don't. But, I'll bet that you do! And, I would love to have you tell me - who / what company introduced it, AND any background you may wish to share on the development! :)

I would gladly share the history --I was there and a participant in its history but 20 late model tube sucking bubble blowers would post that it didn't happen and give their version-- I think, I suppose , I heard, some one told me and bolderjohns it didn't happen since it is not in a PADI book

Maybe at a later date

Sam Miller, 111

I'm looking to get a moldable mouthpiece. I've seen them advertised at a broad range of prices. Any recommendations?
Like a number of posters:

1. I have used (and still have in my parts box) a SeaCure. It was very easy to mold, there was no issue with deforming the mouth opening when I heated it in hot water. Although I still have it, I no longer use it - a) I have found a (much) more comfortable, mouthpiece (see '2.', below), and b) after I moved to a 'primary donate' regulator configuration, it made no sense for me to have a mouthpiece on my primary second stage that was molded to MY mouth, but which might not work for an OOA / recipient diver.

2. I have adopted the Apeks Comfo-Bite as my exclusive mouthpiece on all of my regulators. It is small, but very secure, has (for me) just the right firmness, and is (from my perspective) superior to my SeaCure.

An interesting aside, for me. I bought my SeaCure early in my diving 'career'. I loved it. I used a Comfo-Bite for the first time because it came on a new regulator set that I purchased (two ATX200s, for my doubles) a number of years ago. It just happened that I used that doubles regulator set almost exclusively for a two year period, and I found that I really liked the mouthpiece. I put the same mouthpiece on my deco regulators. Then, I went back to do some single cylinder diving, and used my regulator with the SeaCure for the first time in quite a while. I gagged when I put the SeaCure in my mouth, because the sides were so long. (That wasn't in any way the 'fault' of the SeaCure, just a reflection of how my preferences changed over time.) I trimmed the sides of the Sea-Cure, but even then, I realized that I just no longer cared for the feel of the mouthpiece.

I would gladly share the history . . . Maybe at a later date
Whenever you are ready to share, Sam. I always learn something from your posts. :)

@Zef

One red head is an ample supply of a wife

I am a man of the west ...The western ;part of the US
We no longer have more than one wife
But there was a time....

Sam Miller, 111

I used a Farallon moldable mouth piece for years (still use a Farallon snorkel) but I switched to Aqualung/Apeks comfo-bite (sp?) and really like them better. Especially on long deco hangs or long scooter dives.

I found with the moldable bites I would have a tendency to bite down harder without realizing it, with the comfo-bite i can relax my jaw.

Back
Top Bottom