DiveAssure vs Dan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My understanding is that Dive Assure is primary insurance. DAN provides secondary coverage. (This was stated earlier in this thread.)
In that case, if you have Dive Assure (with no coverage in your home country), your primary provider will provide insurance coverage for any mishaps in-country.
Does supplemental DAN insurance provide significant benefit for accidents in the USA?
Has anyone had any experience (other than deductibles, paperwork and red tape) where their primary provider excluded or declined their coverage and DAN had to cover all or most of the expenses for a diving accident in the USA?

Last edited:
Hi guys,

*** DO NOT *** sign up with Dive Assure, unless you don't mind having your personal profile information be accessible by other members!

Years ago, I discovered a BIG flaw with DiveAssure's website: When I log in and view my profile, there's a unique numeric ID in the URL. If I change the ID to another number, I can immediately view the profile information of another member in the database.

With their recent redesigned email, the problem is still there (I just tested this within the past hour). I've complained to them about it before, both via email and their FB page, and their response every time is that they're aware of the issue and are working on the fix.

This is a HUGE privacy problem!!! I just filed a complaint with BBB. I've also removed all my profile information (phone, address, etc.). I suggest those of you who are already members should do the same.

---------- Post added November 24th, 2015 at 09:11 PM ----------

Update: Guess what? After the multiple complaints, DiveAssure's developers must've applied a quick patch of code that simply checked to see if the ID # in the URL matched that of the member who is logged in--if not, then blank out all the personal profile fields. So at the moment, your privacy is protected again. (What took them so long?!?! And how can anyone even let this slip in the first place? Even the most basic CRM tools are smart enough to make your personal info private and confidential.)

Last edited:
Hi guys,

*** DO NOT *** sign up with Dive Assure, unless you don't mind having your personal profile information be accessible by other members!

Years ago, I discovered a BIG flaw with DiveAssure's website: When I log in and view my profile, there's a unique numeric ID in the URL. If I change the ID to another number, I can immediately view the profile information of another member in the database.

With their recent redesigned email, the problem is still there (I just tested this within the past hour). I've complained to them about it before, both via email and their FB page, and their response every time is that they're aware of the issue and are working on the fix.

This is a HUGE privacy problem!!! I just filed a complaint with BBB. I've also removed all my profile information (phone, address, etc.). I suggest those of you who are already members should do the same.

---------- Post added November 24th, 2015 at 09:11 PM ----------

Update: Guess what? After the multiple complaints, DiveAssure's developers must've applied a quick patch of code that simply checked to see if the ID # in the URL matched that of the member who is logged in--if not, then blank out all the personal profile fields. So at the moment, your privacy is protected again. (What took them so long?!?! And how can anyone even let this slip in the first place? Even the most basic CRM tools are smart enough to make your personal info private and confidential.)

I have no confidence in the DiveAssure site whatsoever. It's a horrible mess. It seems like it was outsourced/offshored to the cheapest bidder, judging by the grammatical problems and downright awful coding present. Currently I'm unable to get a quote on insurance, but I don't really want it now. I've asked DiveAssure to please come to these forums and explain themselves.

I think that DiveAssure is ready to go belly up from what I hear. Their only product is international insurance. They have not been able to provide domestic coverage for over a year now. Too bad, I really think that a quality insurance carrier that can provide primary layer of coverage is viable product and product timing is just right.

I non-renewed because the international coverage was just as expensive as what I paid for the year prior.

Hello all,

It's been a few years since this thread was last active and rather than starting a new thread,I thought maybe I should just follow-up using this one.

My wife and I are heading to Belize in January and I'd like to get dive accident insurance. I have trip coverage through my visa, which amazingly enough covers diving, but based off some other threads, my coverage wouldn't go far in an emergency situation. I was looking at getting short term coverage since I don't think we would get enough use out of annual coverage.

Is Dive Assurance still a solid provider and alternative to DAN? Any opinions on which to go with these days?

Thanks!

I had an Incident" in Coz last year in which I had to utilize my dive assure coverage. The doctor and chamber took my dive assure without question. I also had to spend a night in the hospital between chamber rides. The hospital did not accept my assurances nor the doctor in carge of the chamber that dive assure would cover so I paid a little over $100.00 which was reimbursed immediately upon my submission of the bill by dive assure. They were excellent. Using DAN insurance I would have had to pay everything there (about $12,000.) and waited for my insurance to pay, after which DAN would have paid what was not covered by my insurance. There is an example of the difference between primary and secondary insurance. The hospital in Coz insisted upon cash because they were not familiar with either dive assure nor my local insurance coverage. Of course the doctor running the chamber was very familiar with dive assure.

I have had two friends who used DAN in other countries )(Honduras and Mexico) - no paying up front was required.

Hello all,

It's been a few years since this thread was last active and rather than starting a new thread,I thought maybe I should just follow-up using this one.

My wife and I are heading to Belize in January and I'd like to get dive accident insurance. I have trip coverage through my visa, which amazingly enough covers diving, but based off some other threads, my coverage wouldn't go far in an emergency situation. I was looking at getting short term coverage since I don't think we would get enough use out of annual coverage.

Is Dive Assurance still a solid provider and alternative to DAN? Any opinions on which to go with these days?

Thanks!

I have been looking into this quite a bit recently (although comparing DiveAssure with DAN Asia Pacific).

It would seem that both are providing diving insurance options, although you might want to check if they provide cover in your own country of residence (if you require this) and the destination.

Remember there is a difference between Diving (accident/emergency) Insurance, and Travel Insurance. (Please correct me if I am wrong)

Diving Insurance (Accident/Emergency/treatment) -
Cover specific to diving emergencies, like, evacuation to the closest hyperbaric chamber, and the treatment (but not evacuation as a result of a natural disaster).....also.....covering lost/damaged gear due to an accident/emergency, (but not if your lost gear that fell overboard in a mishandling event, unrelated to an emergency).

Travel Insurance - They would cover your gear that fell overboard, and non-diving medical issues...also... evacuation due to natural disaster, or political unrest.

In my limited research Dive Assure seems to provide combined "Dive-Travel" Insurance which has some pretty cool coverage. I'm talking about coverage that covers missed dives due to compressors not working, or should your flight be delayed and you miss the liveaboard departure, they will apparently still try and get you on that boat!.....very diving-specific stuff.

In my limited research Dive Assure seems to provide combined "Dive-Travel" Insurance which has some pretty cool coverage. I'm talking about coverage that covers missed dives due to compressors not working, or should your flight be delayed and you miss the liveaboard departure, they will apparently still try and get you on that boat!.....very diving-specific stuff.

Thanks Joelage, we went with Dive Assure for dive accident insurance, the coverage seemed adequate and it's primary insurance, whereas DAN is secondary. We have trip insurance through my Visa and due to the flight schedule and boat departure, there is minimal risk of missing the boat, so I decided against supplemental trip insurance. One of those things you hope you'll never have to use, but good to have.

I have had two friends who used DAN in other countries )(Honduras and Mexico) - no paying up front was required.

Good to know for future reference, thanks!

it's primary insurance, whereas DAN is secondary
Which means nothing when it comes to getting your bills paid, but sounds good huh?

Back
Top Bottom