What is the craziest "specialty" you have heard of that you know is actually real?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Over here they go skiing on the underside of the ice every once in a while. I don't think there's an upside-down underwater skier cert though.

After seeing a guy in Bonaire, I was going to submit a specialty certification for naked diver for approval. It would be especially popular at Hedonism.

I changed my mind when I realized how dangerous it would be and remembered that I might have to actually have to demonstrate the skills.

While there may be a few specialties mentioned here with substance (see boulderjohn above), for the most part I get the impression that this is for PADI a way of selling more cert cards. Can anyone say that most of those specialties mentioned in this thread compare to a specialty with real learning, such as Navigation, for example?

Zombie has navigation, buoyancy, search and recovery including the use of lift bags and basic rescue (only towing and first aid, no rescue breaths or CPR).

This is according to this page and that was why I thought about doing it, looked like a few fun dives while practicing skills. You get a funny c card as well if you want to pay for it.

I didn't read all posts as they popped up so quickly when I was away.... The Zombie thing. Some instructors on the Board have said there are some good skills that come out of this. Maybe a review of some stuff already in OW or other courses? Or learning stuff you should already know? I know nothing of the syllabus for Zombie A., it just sounds redundant from what I read here. What skills are new?
Yes all the skills in zombie can be learned somewhere else in the PADI classes (i think)

We don't have our cards yet, but my wife and I "earned" our Underwater Pumpkin Carving cert this year. No joke.
I'd make a phone call. That ought to be the front runner in the log book.

While there may be a few specialties mentioned here with substance (see boulderjohn above), for the most part I get the impression that this is for PADI a way of selling more cert cards. Can anyone say that most of those specialties mentioned in this thread compare to a specialty with real learning, such as Navigation, for example?
You do realize, don't you, that when a student takes a distinctive specialty card, the only money PADI makes is the fee for the card itself? If the student opts to take the class and not take the card, PADI doesn't get a dime.

We don't have our cards yet, but my wife and I "earned" our Underwater Pumpkin Carving cert this year. No joke.
Lol it is REAL (link) ! :)

Link to the official page: link

Now, for next year, I need to sharpen my knife, get a pumpkin sized mask, snorkel and an underwater lantern light !

You do realize, don't you, that when a student takes a distinctive specialty card, the only money PADI makes is the fee for the card itself? If the student opts to take the class and not take the card, PADI doesn't get a dime.

Yes, I know that, but I'm guessing most people get the card.

Back
Top Bottom