Richard Branson's Blue Hole Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charred

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Did anyone else watch Branson's Blue Hole trip?

They took a few mini subs down to the bottom of Belize's Blue Hole. I wanted to like it but thought the show sucked as they spent way to much time talking about themselves and showing "selfies" than actual video of the hole. Cousteau's old show had way better footage than Branson did.

Apparently there is a hydrogen sulfide layer at the very bottom that kills any marine life that falls down to the bottom.

On a more somber note...

They eluded to the fact a couple of divers have been lost on dives and never recovered when they started talking about what they saw on the bottom but never gave specifics. I feel they implied they saw something but my wife disagrees.

I had to stop watching it because of all the ridiculous commentary like it was a football game or something. Recorded on the DVR and then fast forward through those ridiculous parts, made it much better lol

It's not like we don't know what's down there. Belize Diving Services has video of one of their dives to the bottom. It's been on youtube since 2014.

Unfortunately, the Discovery Channel decided not to broadcast it on their Canadian network. Hopefully, they will do it at a later date.

Didn't bother it is only 400 feet deep.What a joke.

A couple of friends were involved in that project as ROV operators. To paraphrase, "Once we got past the celebrity aspect, the whole trip was a CF". :rofl3:

Disappointing... and boring.I'm guessing that Branson wrote a check for some part of this otherwise there's no reason for him to be in it. Definitely fast forward on the DVR. The interesting bits are about 12 minutes, tops.
If you want to be entertained watching deep exploration vehicles...
I was stuck on a long flight recently and watched "The Meg" (as in Megalodon} on the plane. It was actually fun, once you get past the basic premise that a Meg could still exist somewhere in the abyss.

Unfortunately, the Discovery Channel decided not to broadcast it on their Canadian network. Hopefully, they will do it at a later date.
I watched part of it, you didn't miss a thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom