Drysuit undergarment changes and weighing.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Size and compression matter.... however this last weekend. I added my mid layer. I also added 3 lbs of weight. I was a tad bit heavy. But less then 1 lb. so elected for the added weight then too light. This was in fresh water using bare base layer and adding the mid layer full jumpsuit.

CP...

I read your response post...and could not help but look at your profile photo...

Assuming this is you...and also assuming...maybe wrongly that this is your standard ''go to'' kit...I'm seeing monster doubles...and slinging what appears to be a 3AL 40...with all this...you're still wearing additional ballast...

With this kit...If you were jumping into the water looking like the ''Michelin Tire Man''...you'd still be negative...

Help me out here...

Best...

Warren

Assuming this is you...and also assuming...maybe wrongly that this is your standard ''go to'' kit...I'm seeing monster doubles...and slinging what appears to be a 3AL 40...with all this...you're still wearing additional ballast...

With this kit...If you were jumping into the water looking like the ''Michelin Tire Man''...you'd still be negative...

Depends on the tanks. Freshwater for me in a 420g, if they aren’t worthingtons, I need to add weight (7lbs including some 20ah batteries)

PST/LP Fabers of old are light in the water, and require additional weight.

If I was down in the springs with worthingtons (and no stages), i’d have troubles keeping my head above water with worthingtons in my 190g. With LP Faber/PST, without a stage, I can just keep my chin out of the water with the same setup (60lb wing).

_R.

Depends on the tanks. Freshwater for me in a 420g, if they aren’t worthingtons, I need to add weight (7lbs including some 20ah batteries)

PST/LP Fabers of old are light in the water, and require additional weight.

If I was down in the springs with worthingtons (and no stages), i’d have troubles keeping my head above water with worthingtons in my 190g. With LP Faber/PST, without a stage, I can just keep my chin out of the water with the same setup (60lb wing).

_R.

Hey Ralph...

Before I switched over to the RB...and before my DUI CF 200...I dove with 100 cu ft HP steel Worthington doubles for over ten years... I also had a set of Worthington HP steel 80's...my ladies 80's ..a Pinnacle Evo II dry suit...which was notorious for trapping air...along with Pinnacles...''mid-loft'' undergarment...which was like a heavy snowmobile suit...and the only ballast was the ''doubles''...the 100's or the 80's...I dove for years not even owning any ballast...

A ''bag'' suit has no buoyancy...any common crushed/compressed ''neoprene'' dry suit...maybe with the exception of the heavy 8/10 mm commercial work suits should have no more positive buoyancy than a typical 7 mm wet suit...providing they're sized right...with no additional over-bulk...

As far as buoyancy trapped in ''undergarment loft...diving with monster doubles and slinging bailout...is so negligible...it wouldn't factor in...

Any additional buoyancy is coming from trapped air within the suit...

Some ''tall divers'' like myself...in the 180/200 pound range...due to manufacturer size limitations...will buy an XL suit...when what they really need is a Large-Tall...

The XL is designed to fit divers weighing up to 220 pounds...where an L is designed for divers in the 180/200 pound range...unfortunately...L suit inseams are too short for 6' 3'' divers...

For the sake of getting a longer inseam...you end up buying a suit that's far too large...laid out on the floor...with the telescoping waist unfolded...the suit is almost 8 ft tall...and there-in lies the problem...

Larger suit...more over-bulk...more trapped air...more ballast...and once you've closed off your dump valve the trapped air can't evacuate...and if the dump valve is open in the water...and the trapped air finally does evacuate...you drop like a stone...and you end up loading up your wing and/or your suit to get neutral...and it's a vicious cycle of loading and evacuating your wing/suit as your profile changes...because you're too negative to begin with...

Best...

Warren

Back
Top Bottom