“Assembly fee” after vis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would call the shop and ask what the cost is for doing a VIP and a full fill for a HP120. Do not forget to ask whom you are talking to. Wait a couple of days and call again and see if you get someone else but the same prices.

If those prices jive with what you were charged figure the "assembly" was bad invoicing. If the prices are different ask when the owner might be available as you would like to chat with them.

All this aside, whenever having any type of service done one should ask about the cost involved. This applies not just to scuba gear but everything.

It was brought to my attention that the dip tubes on the valves may have not been assembled or adjusted from the factory. That is something I didn’t consider. Is this a specialized process?

Assuming that this is something that isn’t usually covered in a VIP, I can see some agreement for a assembly fee. Going by this logic, since a VIP+fill at my LDS is $18 a pop, and assuming I should have paid $25 per (if they didn’t tack the cost of fills on top like they did), then the assembly part which may include things like setting a dip tube would be $7 each. If there was additional labor required, I wasn’t overcharged for assembly but rather paid extra for 2 fills that I did not get, which is enough to make me roll my eyes, but not enough to make me grab a torch and pitchfork over.

I’m probably overthinking this, but after all, this is SB. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My LDS charges $10 for viz, $6 for an air fill, (don't know about HP) and frequently less if I take in multiple tanks for a class. For Hydro, I take it directly to a small testing facility and it is $23. Eddy current test is $10. That's in OKC metro area.

Merry Christmas!!
Jay

More reasons to be a self sufficient DIY'er. Thoroughly looking forward to the day I buy a compressor and forget what the inside of dive shops look like.

Unfortunate situation for the OP.
Next time, please ask what the fee is for every transaction. Sometimes, one gets surprised both ways (price wise).

I think there was an element of revenge in this transaction. I do remember once a service department was being VERY unreasonable on a regulator repair. I told them to undo the repair and give my reg back in original condition. When met with some resistance, I said I would call the police if I did not get my regulator back. Never got mad or raised voice or show any sign of anger. Then the price suddenly became reasonable.

We need our LDS; they are trying to make a living like the rest of us. Gouging is not good though.

Oh I wasn't knocking you or any other dive shop for that matter. Just stating what it costs me to have this done is all. No, a $10 difference isn't bad considering where you're located. And I suppose it all has to do with convenience. But an assembly fee? That's a bit ridiculous, especially if it wasn't discussed prior to service. By bringing in the tanks with the valves removed, the OP saved the store personnel at least a few minutes of work and trouble. And besides, in my opinion it's not so much the money that's the issue, but the principle.

We do not have an assembly fee, I was just saying assembling the tanks is a built in cost during a visual inspection process. Trying hard to explain that I do not charge for a VIP then an assembly fee on top of that. The VIP covers the inspection and putting them back together.

As a comparison -

DRIS charges:
$25 annual VIP, fill included
$50 hydro, no fill
$25/each Doubles breakdown/assembly

$8 regular fill
$12 banked (pre-mixed) 32% nitrox (tanks don’t have to be O2 cleaned)

As a comparison -

DRIS charges:
$25 annual VIP, fill included
$50 hydro, no fill
$25/each Doubles breakdown/assembly

$8 regular fill
Those are very fair prices. It is what we charge at the shop in Durham, NC.

To the OP: from my perspective you were charged a bit more than a reasonable rate. But, I don't know the business climate in your community. And, I don't know if you were 'punitively' charged, because you bought the cylinders online, and then brought them to your LDS. A charge of $25 for a VIP and fill would have been reasonable. OK, even adding an extra $5 for installing the dip tube (as noted, a non-technical, 30 second process) would have brought it to $30 per cylinder, rather than the $38 you paid.

But, the charge was only 'a bit' more than what I would see as reasonable. Your expectation of '$12-$15 a pop for a vis and fill' was probably too low.

How they describe their charge is probably less relevant than what the total charge was. Nonetheless, I agree with the suggestion from another poster to always ask in advance what the charge for the service - whatever it is - will be.

It is still worth a chat with the owner on a casul basis so you can get to know him and he knows you. That may pay off in the future you never know. I brought 2 steel tanks in to get Hydro o2 clean and fill. A week later i brought 2 more in for the same thing and the total was like 40 more till i asked why and then they fixed it. All same work done. Dont know till you ask but keep it nice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom