My journey into tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EDIT: a guy friend said I needed to stop changing my gear around.
Nuh uh. You don't. (you might want to check if he is DIR)

Keep messing, trying, and getting the real feel of changing gear.

There are three kits of mine that I love. My Freedom Plate for singles in benign conditions, my SP "Classic" poodle jacket for singles in BS surface conditions (bought it from dumpsterDiver, he would comment but unfortunately past circumstances find him permabanned) and my plain old double HP 100's on a Fred Tagge 10# SS BP that I designed and he fabricated.

Keep at it, take the longer road it is more fun...

Shoulders should be loose. Really, unless you're pretty inflexible, you should be able to duck each arm through the shoulder strap and free it. Waist belt should be tight. I prefer to wear mine a little lower than waist height because it makes sidemounting stages easier, but it's still tight. I can take my arms out of the harness and as long as I'm in trim it makes no difference, however it will get floppy if I try and move it around.

The weighted STA spinning issue sucks. Call Halcyon and see if they'll take it back and send you a new one. Weight on the plate trumps weight belt as long as you're not overweighted. If you're feet heavy, having the weight over your center of buoyancy is better than low on your waist. You want the "lever" in equilibrium, not tipped in one direction.

Your trim looks nice, but those fins look really floppy. Are they the small Eddy fins?

Your trim looks nice, but those fins look really floppy. Are they the small Eddy fins?

Yes, the small Eddy fins. I’ve been thinking of switching them for Apeks RK fins. They now have them in pink, but I like the visibility of white for my local conditions. The Eddys are nice and light, but they really do seem too floppy to me.

A4F08DC7-9BB7-408A-AE29-FEFBC6CD4D97.jpeg

The weighted STA spinning issue sucks. Call Halcyon and see if they'll take it back and send you a new one. Weight on the plate trumps weight belt as long as you're not overweighted. If you're feet heavy, having the weight over your center of buoyancy is better than low on your waist. You want the "lever" in equilibrium, not tipped in one direction.

Halycon has a one year warranty. This is a bit more than two years old. I’m going to contact them, but I don’t expect a replacement. Picture of bolt in question.

Nuh uh. You don't. (you might want to check if he is DIR)

Keep messing, trying, and getting the real feel of changing gear.

There are three kits of mine that I love. My Freedom Plate for singles in benign conditions, my SP "Classic" poodle jacket for singles in BS surface conditions (bought it from dumpsterDiver, he would comment but unfortunately past circumstances find him permabanned) and my plain old double HP 100's on a Fred Tagge 10# SS BP that I designed and he fabricated.

Keep at it, take the longer road it is more fun...

Friend is the furthest thing from DIR.

Shoulders should be loose. Really, unless you're pretty inflexible, you should be able to duck each arm through the shoulder strap and free it. Waist belt should be tight. I prefer to wear mine a little lower than waist height because it makes sidemounting stages easier, but it's still tight. I can take my arms out of the harness and as long as I'm in trim it makes no difference, however it will get floppy if I try and move it around..

I’ve always had issues with my left shoulder strap falling off regardless of how tight or loose my shoulder straps are. The video about the small plate showed how a standard plate can contribute to that due to the straps sitting wider on a person with small shoulders. It then showed they sit closer to the neck with the small plate, which is narrower. That video was very enlightening.

I’ve always had issues with my left shoulder strap falling off regardless of how tight or loose my shoulder straps are. The video about the small plate showed how a standard plate can contribute to that due to the straps sitting wider on a person with small shoulders. It then showed they sit closer to the neck with the small plate, which is narrower. That video was very enlightening.

Just cross the straps behind your neck and keep your standard BP that you've already paid for. I've tried it before and found more comfortable than standard. The straps actually lie flatter that way. You can't buy your way to heaven, but, tinkering might get you closer.

I plan on going tech in the future. There was never any question it would eventually happen. I'm not interested in caves at all, but deeper wrecks, especially on the Great Lakes? Heck, yes! :D My goal is the Thomas Hume in Lake Michigan, at 145ft (very pretty wreck that went down in 1891, very well preserved). I'm Great Lakes wreck obsessed and have been for something like 25 years. My wreck class with limited penetration is this weekend. I've already been diving some Great Lakes wrecks.

What skills do I need to have down cold before I begin any tech training?

I'm currently at 62 dives. Have Advanced rating and Nitrox, as well as drysuit. I'm planning on the SM class next season (BM doubles are not possible due to knee issues, period). Solo/intro to tech in 2019. AN/DP maybe in 2020. Advanced Wreck and trimix, who knows when. I figure it may very well take me 5 years to get to the point where I can dive the Hume.

Earlier this summer I had the opportunity to observe an AN/DP class working on dropping and retrieving stage bottles at the local quarry (they came to the platform I was working on). That was very interesting to watch.

I'm looking for info such as: need to be able to hover within x amount of deviation (1ft, or whatever it is), etc. That sort of thing. Would like to know what exactly I need to work on. I'm something of a long-term planner. :wink: Thanks!

Marie...

First and foremost...your knees...technical diving...depending on interests...and required specialties...involves considerable ''task loading''...remembering also that physical limitations never improve or disappear as you age...they only intensify...

You may want to consider visiting a tech specialty shop in your area...and getting kitted up in the shop...and or the shop pool...to see what you can manage...''comfortably'' being paramount...

If doubles are out...you're looking at large singles...ranging from 100's to 133's...there's even a few 149's still around...over and above this...you're looking at slinging...stage/deco/bailout cylinders...these could be as small as 30's or 40's...

Having said that...your depth...bottom time...deco time is going to be dependent on the volume of gas you can comfortably manage...

Earning the skills and having the time and money...rebreathers are a lighter alternative...but you will still have to manage off-board gas volume as well...

Before you head off on an expensive adventure that for physical reasons may be unobtainable...source knowledgeable people...ask all the questions...try all the gear...sign up for try-dive sessions...including rebreather...find out what you can manage before you take any tech courses...

There are lots of fabulous wrecks in in the Great Lakes...located at the outer limits of ''recreational'' as well as off the coast of Morehead City and Beaufort North Carolina...absolutely nothing wrong with being an ''experienced...proficient...AOW diver''...
There's more wonderful AOW wreck sites than you'll ever see in a lifetime...

Proceed cautiously...and what ever you do...don't get talked into buying anything that you can't comfortably manage...

Peak performance Buoyancy is always a good start...as is navigation...

Stay Safe...

Warren

Halycon has a one year warranty. This is a bit more than two years old. I’m going to contact them, but I don’t expect a replacement. Picture of bolt in question.
FWIW, I have had VERY GOOD customer support from Halcyon on gear problems. They have replaced a couple of items, many years our of warranty, that 'failed' for one reason or another. Particularly if something appears to represent materials or manufacturing defects, they are exceptionally responsive. Some divers are prone to sarcasm, in the regard to the premium price one supposedly pays for the little blue H. But, I am personally favorable toward prefer Halcyon gear, both for quality as well as after-sale support.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom