HYPOTHETICAL QUESTION: Horn vs Shark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

M DeM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just out of random curiosity... Say you had some tiger shark or other marine animal that is getting too close to you, and for some (hypothetical) reason you can't get away...

Would honking a dive alert type horn deter them any or would the last sound I hear be a shark going "ha ha ha ha ha... that's adorable....[nom nom nom]"

Does it sound like this?

HOLY HELL. I read that the guy was unharmed (he "rolled over"? didn't know that was what you were supposed to do.) but seriously... HOLY HELL.

underwater a dive alert "quacks"

sharks probably like ducks...as appetizers.
Oh man, really? I thought it would be deafening, with fish covering their ears and all that.

That's about the way I respond when the kids are playing with their plastic water bottles in the back seat of the car.

Another great reason for never buying plastic water bottles again.

Does it sound like this?

...Would honking a dive alert type horn deter them .....

I'm a spearo who hunts in Jupiter on the deep 120 ledge. We have a plenty of bulls, & lemons. We actually try to bring the bulls in closer because the cobia follow them and that is what we are after to harvest. Bulls in clear water will keep their distance down near the sand when we want to bring them up to 80ft and closer. Tapping on our tank with a double ender doesn't get their interest. But tapping on our wood guns or 'strumming' our rubber bands will. The horn may sometimes have them come 'look' but they really ignore it. The horn doesn't push them away, it brings them in for a look. Both bulls and lemons will come in an see if you have any dinner food then quickly leave when none. The absolute most effective way to make a bull or lemon completely bored with you is if you rise up 30 feet off the bottom, with no dinner food and just look at them. They want dinner. You got no dinner. You'll soon have no sharks. Now if someone wants to talk about how to see more sharks,,,,,,,that's a new thread.

Oh man, really? I thought it would be deafening, with fish covering their ears and all that.
If someone sets one off on the surface - you'll want to have your ears underwater and warn anyone nearby.

We did a dive where my friend said she quacked hers at me at least twice, I never heard it from about 30' away..

I've seen Tiger's "twitch" when a strobe fires near them. It's not the flash, it's the electronic pulse affecting their sensory organs.

They seem curious about it, occasionally at Tiger Beach one "borrows" a camera setup for a short ride b4 usually dropping it in the sand. (hint - you let them..)

I have yelled through a reg at an overly enthusiastic reef shark, pretty effective from 3 feet. Even more effective with my rebreather.

I SERIOUSLY doubt that it would deter any shark on a genuine attack run.

I'd rather try giving them a snoot full of bubble from my secondary, if I didn't have my speargun to poke them with.

Back
Top Bottom