Mods stalking posters vs positive user feedback

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am too “scuba young” to have done rec.scuba. Having survived rec.paintball, I’ll go on record as appreciating the moderation.

Mods do a pretty good job of regulating the net-do-wells. Users do a pretty decent job of calling out the occasional scuba inquisition flare ups (the curmudgeons).

The most annoying part of scubaboard is when I peruse the new articles and don’t see anything that applies to me..........and then I have to go back to the real world. I hate those times.

and you just broke your very own TOS. BE NICE.
He was nice. Very nice. Take the chip off of your shoulder and learn to accept criticism without seeing them as an attack. Here's some advice I posted in another thread:

All feedback, including criticisms and even "attacks", can be beneficial but only if you let them. You simply won't improve your game, whether it's posting on an internet forum or diving, without it. The mark of an elite diver is their ability to learn from their mistakes and that includes listening to all the criticisms about those mistakes. So how do open your mind and heart to accept criticisms?
  • Don't perceive or treat criticisms as a personal attack
    • Take a deep breath
    • Remember that all feedback is a bonus
    • People are taking time to try and help you
  • Don't respond right away!
    • Allow your defense reflex to defuse itself.
    • If you write a negative response, sit on it for 24 hours.
      • Then delete it! :D :D :D
  • Think through the criticism(s)
    • Assume you're the problem
    • Figure out why they gave those criticisms
    • Are you getting the same criticism from multiple sources?
      • The more often you get that criticism the more likely you need to change something
    • What do you need to change to avoid additional criticisms?
  • Make a plan to change!
    • Ask for help
    • This may open you up to additional criticisms
    • Set some goals
    • ASK for feedback.
    • Thank people for their feedback.
  • Fighting criticism is rarely effective and makes you look defensive and egotistical.
    • DON'T DO IT!
    • Correct or not, always thank your critics for their input.
    • Never, ever attack a critic with insults.
    • Always thank them for their input or simply ignore them
  • Don't perceive or treat criticisms as a personal attack
    • Yes, this bears repeating.
    • Feedback is a bonus!
    • The truth can set you free, but it might hurt a bit in the process.

Just FTR, @JohnnyC is not in charge here. Sooooo very far from it, he is approaching it from the other side.

@ScubadriverDale First thing I would do if I were in charge is permaban anyone who dives a Poseidon rebreather. So clearly, not in charge. As the above quoted moderator will tell you, when I get moderated, I generally deserve it. People don't get modded just because. Seriously, be nice and you won't get modded. Sure, sometimes it's nice to get a wicked jab in knowing you're gonna get slapped back down, sometimes you've gotta fight the man, and I've fallen on my own sword on more than one occasion, but every time it's because I was actually being a jerk.

Also, if you can't make fun of Mike Tyson, who can you make fun of?! I've met the man, he's surprisingly nice. I mean, he was jacked up higher than a prom dress in June and was arrested later than night for possession of cocaine and DUI, but still, nice guy. There's nothing racist about having a clever avatar.

but every time it's because I was actually being a jerk.
The first step on the path to excellence, is to be able to admit when you're wrong. That's no guarantee of change, but at least it's the first step. It's also a sign of maturity. Good job, JohnnyC!

Also, if you can't make fun of Mike Tyson, who can you make fun of?!
Making fun of myself, self depreciating humor, I try to (usually) take the sting out of whatever jabs I take at anyone else.
As for likes, that is no measure of SB decency, my logical and helpful posts don't get nearly as many likes as my moderated posts got before they were removed, along with the whole mudpit arena of a squabbling thread.

Dale, I strongly suggest you read this thread when you have an hour to waste. The OP, FPDocMatt did the same thing you are doing. He would start threads that were guaranteed to cause others to express their opinions about what he was doing. When he didn't like the answers he would complain that everyone was ganging up on him. I've read the threads you have started and see a similar pattern. I realize that you are a fairly new diver. You will someday see that there is a lot more to learn about diving, yet you seem to post as if you already know all there is to know. Perhaps you should spend a little more time reading rather than typing. I believe you will become a much happier person if you do.

Back
Top Bottom