Scuba Diving In Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zathorious

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Guy's,

I'm arriving in Bangkok on Jan 5th. Within January I am heading to the island of Koh Tao to get my SSI at Big Blue Diving school.

I have a few questions and it would be great if you guys could give any advice for a first time diver.

Will the SSI be accepted everywhere? Is Padi the way to go? I would eventually like to give wreck diving a go, so I don't know if there are more certifications I need to do after this (I imagine there are), and which initial certification is best to get? I don't even know what PADI and SSI will allow me to do.

Just watching the show Descending if anyone has given it a watch, it's pretty great, much like Departures.

Many thanks,
Z

Enjoy Koh Tao. Was there a few years ago for 22 days. Didn’t want to go home. Hahaha. Check out Goodtime Adventures while you are there. There is the wreck Satticut. 80 to 100 feet on the sand. Will likely take you there after they have some confidence in your skill level. That shouldn’t include penetrating the wreck just the exterior. Listen. Learn. Enjoy.

SSI and PADI are both recognized around the world, you should not have a problem. i have yet to hear of a place which did not accept either of them.

Wreck diving in any organization will be an extra qualification which is not included in your OW/AOW course , ask the dive center which you will be going to about it.

In my opinion get your AOW, get some dives your under belt so you have experience and confidence and only then move on to wreck diving, its not something to be taken lightly by beginner divers.

[QUOTE="
In my opinion get your AOW, get some dives your under belt so you have experience and confidence and only then move on to wreck diving, its not something to be taken lightly by beginner divers.[/QUOTE]

Oh absolutely Sir, there's no way I'd attempt it at all, just watching doc's on it makes me squirm haha

I've done a lot of diving with Big Blue on Koh Tao, they're a great choice for beginners or experienced divers - i also did my wreck, 40m and nitrox with them and recommend these after you've got a bit more experience. The Advanced course is an excellent choice!

(SSI or PADI, it's all the same - a dive license for everywhere in the world, but i think the SSI OW is cheaper so a better choice)

I agree thst Descending was an excellent adventure. I wish they were still diving and filming!

Enjoy Koh Tao. Beautiful island, great fun.

In my opinion get your AOW, get some dives your under belt so you have experience and confidence

Agreed, AOW is worth doing as it adds to your knowledge and opens doors to a wider range of sites dive ops will take you to. You could do a wreck adventure dive which can count towards your AOW.

Big fan of the Orb.

Skipping the full moon party, will check out the eden party instead!

Back
Top Bottom