Apeks finger spool + shipping limitations outside UK?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Being a person that does quality inspections as a living... usually some of it is the name and some of it is the product.

It’s like comparing a Surefire vs a coast flashlight. One cost $400 the other $40. The name has a bit to do with it but when you actually feel and look at the fit and finish of the Surefire you can start to appreciate the price. Then ask yourself if you had to use this product to help save your life is price really an issue?

Just my 2 cents...

I agree but you can't really apply that logic to a spool with no moving parts at all.
All I can say is that I have 3 of the Apex spools - all the 45m.

My oldest is at least 3 years old, and I've shot probably 400 dsmb's with it. Yes the anodizing is wearing on the edges and it has some nicks and scrapes, the line has twists etc but it's still going strong and still used regularly.

I thought about the copies when I brought additional spools, but they didn't' feel as nice. I can't say whether they'd be better or worse than the Apex, but for me my Apex has proved it's worth and has stood up to hard use (much better than the derilin spools and line I used to have)

That is true... to a point.
Also having a background In welding I can promise you I can tell a high $ elbow to low $ elbow almost instantly. When I have to have my welds VT, PT and RT inspectected I will go with something that is more expensive.

I know this is a bit extreme and I am just getting into this sport but let’s all be honest “diving is not cheap.” I would prefer for me to tell my wife how awesome the dive was then my buddy say, “it was awesome until Cole’s equipment failed and he died.”

It is just a spool... they make knock offs... I get that but I am guessing one reason that spool costs what it does is because it was machined from virgin billet aluminum. I am 35 years old, if I am lucky I will be doing this for another 35 years. I am under the mindset that I would rather buy once, cry once and be done with it. Not buy 5 times, kick myself 6 times and finally pony up.

But to each their own, I don’t have kids, my welding education costs me less then my dry suit and my wife doesnt like jewelry. I also work quite a bit, so I will give Apeks my money for a spool and probably “Joe Shmoes Spools” and try them both out. If the cheap one truly is better I can always sell my Apeks in the states and still come out ahead.

I had gone down the same path with searching for the apeks dry100 bag and the green finger spool and i found that some of the european stores also have an ebay account that did not have any shipping restrictions. i picked up the spool for $75 usd from the uk and the bag for $113 usd from Italy.. that was including freight!

DGX has an aluminum spool that ranges in price from $19.95 to $24.95, depending on size. The spool isn’t the pretty colors of the Apeks spool, but you get your choice of white or orange line and size of double ender. DGX does not offer crappy gear.

DGX Custom - Aluminum Finger Spool

3? That's too many, want to sell me one cheap? :)
Nope.. I'm buying some 60m to add to teh collection

I'm lazy so My Rigs, (teaching, Wing and SM) all have standard stuff attached so I can grab and go without switching stuff from one to another and forgetting.

Even though my wife dives, she has her own gear. My fear if anything happens to me is that's she'll sell my stuff based on what I told her it was worth rather than.... :wink:

[QUOTE="t

What's the deal? It's not like I'm going to sell Apeks UK-only finger spool technology to Libya.

In any case, does anyone know whether the spool sold in the US is identical to the one sold in the UK? If it is I'll just have it sent to me by a mail forwarder. (Why do you have to make my life harder Apeks?)[/QUOTE]

if it's any conciliation, there is a crapload of stuff you can't ship from the US to Canada. Nothing Scubapro to start with. It's so they can control prices in separate markets.

Back
Top Bottom