Blindly trust computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The way I see it, as soon as you see the depth value is wonky, you end the dive.

That goes back to people who drive into rivers "because GPS shows a road here". The way I see it, as soon as you see the water you hit the brakes, but evidently some humans don't see it that way.

From a engineering standpoint it would be interesting to see the data collected on the transducers that led to this particular component being selected and how the data changed after mass production began.

Ie did they source transducer A from company X but company X could not produce enough to keep up with demand that suunto went to Companies Y and Z to supplement? However, using the same specs to build the transducers the differences between the companies resulted in failures from company Y.

It's worse though, isn't it? -- People's Factory Number 100024 could not meet the demand, or had a temporary problem on production line, and company X sourced the rest from People's Factory Number 320218 without telling Suunto. Or even the factory itself did the switcheroo without telling company X.

That goes back to people who drive into rivers "because GPS shows a road here". The way I see it, as soon as you see the water you hit the brakes, but evidently some humans don't see it that way.
I do agree that many people trust technology too much, while others dismiss it too much as well. I have one Shearwater per arm. Easy for me to look at both, and monitor the changes in depth, NDL. Plus I dive frequently.

But as most divers are vacation divers being herded by DMs, I don’t think they are much at risk MOST of the time.

It's worse though, isn't it? -- People's Factory Number 100024 could not meet the demand, or had a temporary problem on production line, and company X sourced the rest from People's Factory Number 320218 without telling Suunto. Or even the factory itself did the switcheroo without telling company X.
Or just sourced from PRNK and labeled it made in Mexico...

No matter what, it would be nice to know what really occurred.

Yeah. They used to have these things called "maps".

Possibly a dumb question, but I keep see it comments about faulty pressure transducers. If the determination of depth is unreliable, then so is using tables, average depth, whatever algorithm implemented in the computer.

If you don’t have a backup of some sort which you monitor, what are you supposed to do? The way I see it, as soon as you see the depth value is wonky, you end the dive.
Depth sensor errors can be tricky. There are a few strategies that can help identify them, though.

The easiest would be if your depth is reading something different than anticipated based on the dive brief (main deck of the wreck is supposed to be at 70’ but your computer reads 55, for instance) somethin is wrong.

You can also compare with a buddy if you suspect somethin is wrong. If you’re at safety stop depth and they want to stop deeper or shallower, somethin’ is up.

I drove into the water following a GPS, but I knew the road was there and I knew, and kept track, of the depth of the water. Unfortunately some folks don't check anything, and have no idea where they are.

Bob

You'd probably have to read the original PDFs because the complaint about "not repairing" faulty computers and "replacing with new ones" instead is unbe-effing-livable considering that pressure sensors are typically welded into the body and not replaceable in the first place.

[THREAD HIJACK]
I admit to not having read the complaint (will read legal filings only when suffering from insomnia) but the press release I read made it sound like the issue was that Suunto was replacing failed computers with identical models having the same tendency to fail and not updating the product line, rather than repairing individual units.
[/THREAD HIJACK]

You can also compare with a buddy if you suspect somethin is wrong. If you’re at safety stop depth and they want to stop deeper or shallower, somethin’ is up.

You need a tie breaker in this scenario. Hopefully you’d catch it before acquiring any deco obligation and terminate the dive.

Back
Top Bottom