Hotels in the Florida Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ZeroLuck

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm currently planning a trip to Key Largo and will be diving with Rainbow Reef in April. I know that they offer package deals with the local hotels (the Courtyard by Marriott and Holiday Inn). Where does everyone stay when they go down there? What is everyone's opinions on the Courtyard and Holiday Inn?

I can't comment on the Marriot but I have stayed at the Holiday Inn, (my LDS books short trips a couple times a year and SeaDwellers picks up at the dock right behind the hotel).

The Holiday Inn is just ok, its dated, rooms and bathrooms are small, has a motel feel to it. There is a decent pool/hot tub/tiki bar area though so you don't have to hang around in your room. It is very close to a lot of good food and they do have a breakfast buffet that is one step up from the usual. If you are just looking for a place as a base of operations and not a luxury stay it will do fine.

I recently stayed at the Courtyard. It was fine. Location is very convenient for Rainbow Reef. I will stay there again.

Courtyard is good. Rooms are smaller, but clean and like was stated earlier, very convenient to RR, Subway for sandwiches, Divers Direct, and easy walking distance to Sharky's (get the blackened fish tacos). I really like the Marriott Key Largo, and the Playa Largo by Marriott. But, those will cost a bit more than the Courtyard depending on the time of year of course, and they are more remote.

Just my 2psi... I've stayed at both the Holiday Inn and the Marina Del Mar.

I liked the location of the Marina Del Mar a little more, and it was a little cheaper. Only down side, they don't have blinds inside the room. One morning I woke up to find someone had opened the 'hurricane shutters' on the OUTSIDE of the window... more then likely some drunk person thought they were being funny... but still, a little creepy/ odd.

Going back... I would try the Marriott... and I wouldn't be afraid to pay a little more to do so...

Think I might just do this in late January. Good or bad time for diving there?

Think I might just do this in late January. Good or bad time for diving there?
Better than April, but still hit or miss....

Edit. The diving is fine, it's the boat ride that can suck.

As long as the diving is fine I can endure the boat ride.

The "Key West Inn" is next door to the Marriott. It's much cheaper than the Marriott if that's what you're after. The beds (and everything else) is much nicer in the Marriott, but you pay for it. You could easily walk from the Key West Inn to Rainbow Reef (or drive if you so choose).

Down the road on the other side of road is a Hilton of some sort. I've stayed there too. I had problems with the A/C when I stayed at that Hilton (even after they moved me to a new room). The grounds are quite nice, but having got two rooms with basic maintenance problems I won't go back to that Hilton.

Edit: It appears the Key West Inn has been renamed to "Waterside Suites & Marina" Key West Inn | Budget Resort Hotel in Key Largo, FL
Also, prices appear to be far higher now. Maybe it's because it's high season, or maybe it's under new management and they've lost their minds. Last time I stayed there, I got a room with a king bed for $129/night. Currently they're listed at $250. The Marriott is only $229/night for a king right now so don't bother with the Key West Inn. Must have new owners that are on some kind of drugs.

If you are a frequent Marriott user (which I am), the Courtyard is pretty bad compared to most Marriott branded hotels in other markets. However, compared to most local non-branded Keys hotels, its paradise.

If I can get a good deal or use Marriott points, I'll pick the Courtyard over places like the Key West Inn or Pelican. If I can't get a good deal or can't use points, then I stay at a KW Inn or Pelican or Pirates Cove.

Haven't stayed at the Holiday Inn, so can't compare to that

EDIT..... Just read prior post, $225 for Courtyard is a much better deal than KW Inn for similar of higher price

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom