Rule on hot showers after diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hot shower = higher temp.

basic/simplified gas law : PV= T

P = T/v

with constant blood Volume = no bleeding or hemorage

an increase in temperature would result in a decrease of pressure. less pressure more likely gas would bubble just like softdrinks bottle.

so while underwater the temp is relatively cold hence molecules would be relatively closer to each other than when gettign out of water(pressure less) then a hot shower would result in higher temp hence the molecules would have a higher random movement and expand in distance from each other bloodvessels would dilate or expand resulting in less pressure within the arteries.

however i believe this scenario will only happen is you are immediately dipped in a hot environment ..... just some blah blah blah ... i think ...

Okay folks, this is the drill, as they say in the military! First of all, Snow Bear is spot on the money when she says that those who push the limits of their tables are bound to get in trouble. Almost all of the tables have some conservatism built in these days, but in some cases, not a lot. Push at the limits and sooner or later you will bust out of the edge of the envelope!

Second, IF you are close to the limits, just one more thing could push you over the edge. Our very own Doc Deco was always warning that heavy exertion immediately after a dive could be that ONE thing, and that NONE of the tables in use made allowances for that problem. Climbing ladders with heavy gear on, or moving gear on the deck could be a problem.

Third, it has been noted by decompression researchers that a hot shower immediately after diving COULD be that one thing, given the sudden increase in perfusion, and resultant off-gassing. What they say in discussion is that it would have to be a case where you came up out of the water and almost immediately went into the shower.

Fourth, it is extremely important to remember that EVEN IF you are well within the table limits, there can be instances in which you become a statistical outlier. NO table or algorithm...I say again...NO table or algorithm ever reaches a zero probability of DCS occurrence. This is why we talk of "un-EXPECTED" cases of DCS, not "un-deserved" cases. I do not mean to scare you. Just to point out that there is always some risk, albeit a low level of it! :wink:

If you’re cold after a dive you shouldn’t take a hot shower or bath either, the heat will dilate your blood vessels and can drop your blood pressure enough to give you shock, it will also circulate cold blood in from the extremities which can drop your core temperature again.

My skin bends went from zero to 60, after a hot shower.

I didn't realize that I had skin bends. Figured it was an allergic reaction, or bug bites or something had been in my suit. My lower back hurt too so figured, "hey, I'm going to have a hot shower, get this itchy stuff off me and then my back will feel better too". What a mistake!! And that was more than an hour out of the water. I'll never do it again, regardless what new releases say.

hot shower = higher temp.

basic/simplified gas law : PV= T

P = T/v

with constant blood Volume = no bleeding or hemorage

an increase in temperature would result in a decrease of pressure. less pressure more likely gas would bubble just like softdrinks bottle.
This is likely the funniest BS I've ever read on SB.

Reactions: yle
This is likely the funniest BS I've ever read on SB.

Did you note the date it was posted? 2006

You're trying to shame a post from 2006. Give yer head a shake.

Did you note the date it was posted? 2006

You're trying to shame a post from 2006. Give yer head a shake.
I noted the date but the laws of math and physics were the same back then, no? Give me a break. For 12 years people were reading this BS and nobody said, Dude, if you know nothing even about simple math, you better keep quiet!

Reactions: yle
I noted the date but the laws of math and physics were the same back then, no? Give me a break. For 12 years people were reading this BS and nobody said, Dude, if you know nothing even about simple math, you better keep quiet!

I seriously doubt that anybody has been reading the post from 2006 for the past 12 years. Be that as it may, feel free to have the last word today.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom