Percentage of divers who go beyond openwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wouldn't it be more reasonable to assume that a high percentage of the divers that invested the time, effort and money to reach rescue diver level will upgrade to at least the DM level?

I can’t speak for others obviously, but DM isn’t a upgrade imo. What is the use for it if you don’t go PRO?

Wouldn't it be more reasonable to assume that a high percentage of the divers that invested the time, effort and money to reach rescue diver level will upgrade to at least the DM level?

I would not assume that any more than I would assume a high percentage of people who get licensed to drive a car and maybe add on a motorcycle license would continue to upgrade to a commercial driver's license. DM is not a continuation of the recreational track. It is the start of an entirely different track.
It is unfortunate that marketing has made so many believe this is the natural progression.

I guess some people like to spend money on courses and some are only vacation divers so they don’t need it.

No one here is capable of giving a full comprehensive answer to that question.

only 33% of my household is above Open Water certification... Two with over 20 years of diving...

No pro-level, and no desire for such....

only 33% of my household is above Open Water certification... Two with over 20 years of diving...

No pro-level, and no desire for such....
LOL. 100% of my household is professional. A completely useless bit of info in the context of this thread.
Why is Post #28 not a sufficient answer?

I have no interest in DM, because it does me zero good as I have no intentions to become a pro. I am going to begin tech courses in the spring, which, to me, is an actual upgrade compared to DM

a question came up in a tangent to a post last week. What percentage of divers go beyond open water to AOW, Rescue, Nitrox, Divemaster etc?

Thanks,
Jay

Our Certification History is part of the details stored in our SB Account. I assume that it would be possible for one of the SB board members to compile this information for us all to learn.

I can’t speak for others obviously, but DM isn’t a upgrade imo. What is the use for it if you don’t go PRO?
Taking the course and not actually working as a DM would have very little use. It will vastly improve your 20 (now PADI 24) skills because you must perform them to demonstration quality--I'm talking about the 24 skills you learn in the pool in OW course, not what kind of a "skillfull" (buoyancy, etc.) diver you are.
Working as a DM gives you a big taste of being responsible for others, especially OW students. This should make you a better buddy, rescue diver, etc.
Other than those things, taking the DM course will do little to improve your own diving, and you learn a fair bit of information you'll probably never use again. At least with the pre 2010 "old" course.

This thread probably could be moved to the general "Agencies" area as it doesn't seem to be related to one or 2 agencies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom