Removing and putting back kit underwater with integrated weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I only dive weight integrated and since I certified in SoCal we were taught to doff/don. It's easy as long as you keep one arn in the BC and do it carefully.. I've used it twice - once in the Kelp - that one was easy b/c I was so tangled I wouldn't have floated up anyway - in a 7/5 suit.

Actually we were taught to straddle the tank if necessary - hold the BC at or below your level - never overhead.
Ah i didn’t realise you keep one arm in the BC. I thought you fully removed it.

I use a backplate and wing so it’s not really easy to remove just one arm

Not of a student per say. But here is a very good diver doing it.

So in this one he never pulls his arms out of the harness.

I think I can do this: I’ll give it a try in a pool.

So in this one he never pulls his arms out of the harness. I’ll give it a try in a pool.
From his setup, I believe he does not actually have a weight belt on. But he is a very good instructor. A weight belt does help, and gives you partial ditch options and more places to move lead for trim.

You can take one arm out and then slide it off the other shoulder/side and pull it around in front of you. To put back on from that, one option is to roll back into it.

Edit: by in front of you I mean below you. With you in flat trim like Trace is in the video. My experience doing it has been with a BP/W as well.

@BlueTrin
"So when you do the PADI skill you do it on the bottom, not floating "
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It is a basic skill of diving --It was required of basic divers at least 20 years before PADI was established
The basic courses at that time created divers - not people who just dove

sdm

I don’t think it was taught to me correctly then.

Considering the buoyancy control expected of an OW student, and the 3-5 metre (if you're lucky) pool where buoyancy swings are the greatest, I have to wonder about the practicality of teaching all the skills in mid-water. I mean, it's how it should be taught, no argument, but maybe the course should start with teaching PPB to people who can barely swim. And then proceed to OW. Adjust duration and cost accordingly.

Ah i didn’t realise you keep one arm in the BC. I thought you fully removed it.

Just clench your teeth and hope the zip tie on the mouthpiece is tight.

Option 2: have the long hose wrapped around your neck so it will choke you to death the moment you let go of your rig. You'll have very strong incentive to never let go.

HTH

Just clench your teeth and hope the zip tie on the mouthpiece is tight.

Option 2: have the long hose wrapped around your neck so it will choke you to death the moment you let go of your rig. You'll have very strong incentive to never let go.

HTH
I’ll buy a long hose to try option 2 ?
:p

@BlueTrin
"So when you do the PADI skill you do it on the bottom, not floating "
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It is a basic skill of diving --It was required of basic divers at least 20 years before PADI was established
The basic courses at that time created divers - not people who just dove

sdm

Sorry I made a mistake in my wording (I am not a native English speaker): I meant to say that the way PADI teaches this skill was on the floor. I did not mean to imply that PADI invented the skill :)

But it seems that even on this, I was incorrect :oops:

I would suggest never taking your right arm out of the shoulder strap.

That wouldn't fly for me, I require my students to have both arms free of the BCD. I also require the skill done neutrally buoyant. I did just peek in the Instructor Manual and Guide to teaching and it does not state both arms need to be removed, but the CD that did my training says you haven't removed the BCD if you still have an arm in it and I agree.

For the OP, my initial suggestions are first focus on being neutral, give yourself a minute if you need to and don't rush that part. Once you begin removing go SLOW, hold the bottom of the cylinder as you bring it around to the front and keep the BCD touching your body.

That wouldn't fly for me, I require my students to have both arms free of the BCD. I also require the skill done neutrally buoyant. I did just peek in the Instructor Manual and Guide to teaching and it does not state both arms need to be removed, but the CD that did my training says you haven't removed the BCD if you still have an arm in it and I agree.

For the OP, my initial suggestions are first focus on being neutral, give yourself a minute if you need to and don't rush that part. Once you begin removing go SLOW, hold the bottom of the cylinder as you bring it around to the front and keep the BCD touching your body.
When you do this, are you usually slightly negatively buoyant if you were to let go the BCD ? I.e. are you hanging from the BCD ?

Because I use a harness I’ll try what Trace is doing in the video as well.

Next time I have access to the pool club is on the 3rd of Jan so I’ll try then.

Back
Top Bottom