Wearing your BP/W on Airplane

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You don’t have to poke holes in a dry bag to fit it to a plate/backpack, just use the tank straps, roll the wing in and tie or strap the fins to the outside. You have to find a knife alternative. I’ve used a VDH plate for this to Mexico and Hawaii. I can get everything I need into a 10l dry bag and I use the weight pockets and fin foot pockets for some of the smaller stuff including mask.

I have the Freedom Contour Backplate, which is pretty small, but curved into an orthopedic looking shape. So I could wear it in an airplane seat, but it doesn't pack flat. There are some other threads with lots of pictures of this unusual shaped backplate.
just found another thread where someone created the backpack
Carry-On Backplate-Backpack?

pa140006-jpg.383556.jpg

There's two steps to navigate for successful unusual carry on when flying major airlines (small charters are another bag entirely):

1. Airline employees.
2. Security.

Airline employees can't police what's on your body under clothing. Provided it isn't a carry on bag it's all fair game. Be nice, be descrete. Flying is a privilege, not a right... And make it easy for them to not need to do extra work because of your choices. Blend in. A oversized shirt or coat over a bcd helps it look like a vest not a backpack. Weight belts and lead go under shirts, not over. Dive lights go clipped off on inside pockets, not dangling on lanyards. Fins go as a necklace with the pockets down in the gut area... Etc.

Security doesn't care. Don't hide anything, as long as it doesn't look like a weapon and they are having a good day... Or decide they like you. Odd shaped carry on isn't a problem. Strip it off your body (I stop in a restroom to rearrange after the airline counter and the security area)

Just put it in the buckets and have a smooth kind articulate explanation why you are a normal person with a non threatening reason to need an unusual carry on. I also try to put contextual clues above suspicious items. When they hand screen a bag it helps to see a dive mask and regs before a canister light.

Pack everying back onto your body before boarding the plane and passing the gate where airline employees will be watching. They don't want the bins overfilled... But huge and oddly shaped humans are normal.

(a tad embarrassed, but I generally am carry on only and carry several kits of dive gear and/or camera equipment so I've gotten some practice in keeping my carry on bags under weight and the right shape)

Cameron

Here is how one of our divers uses his Back Plate and Wing as a Carry On.

Audio on clip not good for my computer, but it seems he's packing stuff in the unit before he's going to wear it onto the plane. Never thought of that. I have heard of wearing a BC onto the plane--I have often asked if any others here have done that or heard of it.

just found another thread where someone created the backpack

Yup, that's mine.

I have not had a problem with the TSA. I was delayed briefly by local port security while boarding a cruise ship at one point, while they got a supervisor. They did not understand what it was. After 5 minutes of fiddling around they let me through.

The advantage of that setup is that you can utilize the straps and the backplate to make a pretty good backpack. It's OK as a carry on but where it really shines is in those situations where you have to hand-carry your gear a long way and/or use public transportation, as is the case when traveling via cruise ship and trying to dive in your own gear.

Otherwise, for air travel, I just fold up the straps, take off the wing and fold it up, and put the backplate in the bottom of my carry-on.

Either way, I can fit everything for a dive except tanks, weights, and fins. I like really large fins that are themselves over the size limit for a carry on, so I just check them. If my checked bag gets lost, I can buy or rent fins locally, and nobody steals them.

If I used smaller fins I could probably fit them in my carry on. In some situations it would be a worthwhile tradeoff.

I ended up using an off the shelf carry on sized duffle bag with grommets installed on the bottom. The backplate and harness is bolted to the duffle bag. With the plate and harness on the outside, I can fit fins, regs, boots, wetsuit, wing, etc.

There is a thread on it.

Backplate travel system

I take off the front pouch when traveling and put it inside. It is not so bulky that way.

@Bubblesong

What exactly doesn’t fit? I fly Delta not AA but so far no problems with my carry-on (its the weight of the checked that can get me in trouble). I have a Osprey backpack that while it looks large, especially on me, fits perfectly into the overhead. I pack my Freedom Plate and harness, wing, reg set, lights, dsmb and reel, boots, wetsuit, swimsuit and tropical change of clothes into this.

Then a have a typical day back pack that I put other essentials in like batteries, meds, etc. My now near empty handbag also goes into the bottoms of this. This fits in the space at my feet.

I have had a few airline staff marvel at my gear but never any problems.

Back
Top Bottom