Drysuit certification really needed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think a major deal is fit. My new dry suit needed some major stretching on the neoprene neck seal - when I tried it on for 15 minutes in my living room, with my instructor friend standing by, I nearly passed out from neck squeeze. Had I just jumped off a boat, I may very well have passed out and drowned.

My friend told me to get the neck sized up,then put the suit in and watch some TV for at least a half hour. If I made it through that with no issues, then try it in the pool.

A dry suit has more inherent buoyancy and for some tech instructors is considered a back up to BC failure. You gain lift from a dry suit, it's why you wear more weight.

There's a whole lot more to wing lift selection and at 5 OW dives, I wouldn't concern yourself too much yet. When you start diving steel doubles, know that you better be thinking about that.

If you want to dive a dry suit, rent one or try one in a pool - it's weird at first but really a great way to dive, just takes a small amount of skills and knowledge - that's why they have the class.
Was that reply addressed to me specifically, or was it meant more generally?

I’ve never known anyone to be asked for a drysuit card. It’s probably not a bad idea to get some instruction though.

I read the owners manual that came with my 1st dry suit, before there were dry suit classes and certs. It gave instructions on how to use the dry suit. I've been using dry suits on and off for 40+ years, with a BCD and without a BCD. Learning how to use an iPhone for the 1st time is more difficult than learning to use a dry suit. I liken it to nitrox, one doesn't need a cert to understand the safe use of nitrox but without one not too many LDS will give you a nitrox fill. It's quite a racket the training agencies have going on, making money teaching separately for additional fees, what should instead be taught in an OW class.

I personally think it’s more than just a buddy showing you.

One of the skills is over inflate the suit inverted, tuck and roll to right yourself - pretty easy.

One big deal is dealing with coming up from depth, where your overinflated valve is set and controlling your ascent - easy imo, but not understanding it or doing it wrong can get you hurt - something I feel is more than a buddy teaching you.

Caring for your suit, knowing that enriched mixes can harm the suit long term, using the power inflator in cold water, regs freezing - probably missed something.

Take the class - it’s a big investment that opens up a lot of diving.

So to be clear: I really think there is value in doing a proper dry suit class.
But the OP is asking if he REALLY needs one, and I think you do not REALLY need one, even though it is often better to learn from a divemaster/instructor who is used to teach regularly.

Also please can you educate me in regards to the enriched mix part ? I have done the PADI dry suit class and I cannot remember this being mentioned.

Well I ended up procrastinating to long and the drysuit sold. I’ll be watching for another one. For some reason I am hesitant to buy a drysuit. I’m usually not this way usually for all in on something when it’s in my mind. But for some reason I have hesitation on a drysuit.

When I first bought mine, I bought a copy of the course book also. There will be stuff that is not intuitive, so, generally speaking, you will save a lot of trouble by seeing if you can get the course as part of the package. A general rule of thumb that I have heard is it takes about 25 dives to be reall comfortable with a Drysuit. From experience and the number of people that hate Drysuit, that sounds about right.

A couple of handy thoughts to consider when looking to go dry, what gear changes are you going to need or want to make? BCDs were mentioned, but you need to think about how much lead do you need? Integrated weight pouches will not do the job, too far forward and won’t. Have the capacity. I bought a DUI weight harness. I also bought rock boots and spring strap rockets that will fit over the bulkier shoes.

Was that reply addressed to me specifically, or was it meant more generally?

More generally - more to not worry so much about which BC at this time till you figure out what you are diving

Well I ended up procrastinating to long and the drysuit sold. I’ll be watching for another one. For some reason I am hesitant to buy a drysuit. I’m usually not this way usually for all in on something when it’s in my mind. But for some reason I have hesitation on a drysuit.
I would say that buying a drysuit before ever diving one is certainly a textbook example of "all in."

Take the course, then decide. Ask them what they will do for you if you buy one after you finish the course.

Everyone's business model is different. If I was asking full MSRP when selling a drysuit, I would likely include the course. But since I don't, I don't. I do however refund suit rental from the course if the student comes back and buys soon after.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom