Hotels in the Florida Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I stay at Amy Slate's in Key Largo, like most of the places in KL, not fancy, but focuses on divers.

I can't comment on the Marriot but I have stayed at the Holiday Inn, (my LDS books short trips a couple times a year and SeaDwellers picks up at the dock right behind the hotel).

The Holiday Inn is just ok, its dated, rooms and bathrooms are small, has a motel feel to it. There is a decent pool/hot tub/tiki bar area though so you don't have to hang around in your room. It is very close to a lot of good food and they do have a breakfast buffet that is one step up from the usual. If you are just looking for a place as a base of operations and not a luxury stay it will do fine.

Pretty much my opinion. The Holiday Inn in Key Largo, if it were anywhere else IMO wouldn't be able to keep their franchise. Imagine the Holiday Inn furniture from about a decade ago shoved in a roadside motel room. There weren't any plugs available to charge anything, not even the lamps with plugs that you often see in older hotels in this class. I had to pull up one of the power strips that they use to power stuff and unplug stuff I wasn't going to use (like the TV and desk lamp).

At the $100 a night that I paid off season during the week I felt that it was moderately overpriced. But at the $160 they wanted for a weekend rate off season I felt it was way overpriced and booked at the Home2 in Florida City (brand new hotel, and really nice) for the next night to extend my stay. In hindsight I should've booked at the Home2 for my entire trip.

From the sound of things I think I'll be staying in Homestead and drive down.

If you don't mind spending about $100 more a night than the Waterside Suites & Marina, the Playa Largo is only a few years old, and is a very nice resort style Hotel. I've stayed there a few times, it is Mrs. Bubbas favorite.

As for diving in January, I personally would bring a 5mm or drysuit. Water temps are typically OK, but the surface ride back, especially at night, can be very chilly. Of course, I hate being cold so some might get by in a 3mm. I just got back from some Trimix dives in October, and was in a 5mm on the Spiegel and was very comfortable. I've taught classes in Jan and Feb, and it was chilly. However, one day in January last year I could see the Spiegel Grove from the surface, the visibility was that good. Have fun and post a dive report when you get back.

Playa Largo looks nice but at $400 a night I'm going to take a hard pass lol. I'll be going in April, would you still recommend a 5mm?

For me yes, but I hate being cold and I am typically teaching deco procedures so my dives are a bit longer. If you are military or gov't the Playa Largo becomes a bit cheaper. But yes, around spring break it will be more expensive. Plus I feel bad dragging dive gear through the lobby, it is really nice and people give me a funny look......

Where in MD are you located?

I think a 5 mm in April is a bit overkill . The water temp should be
80 degrees on May 1st . Good luck and safe diving !
Sea Dwellers

The "Key West Inn" is next door to the Marriott. It's much cheaper than the Marriott if that's what you're after. The beds (and everything else) is much nicer in the Marriott, but you pay for it. You could easily walk from the Key West Inn to Rainbow Reef (or drive if you so choose).

Down the road on the other side of road is a Hilton of some sort. I've stayed there too. I had problems with the A/C when I stayed at that Hilton (even after they moved me to a new room). The grounds are quite nice, but having got two rooms with basic maintenance problems I won't go back to that Hilton.

Edit: It appears the Key West Inn has been renamed to "Waterside Suites & Marina" Key West Inn | Budget Resort Hotel in Key Largo, FL
Also, prices appear to be far higher now. Maybe it's because it's high season, or maybe it's under new management and they've lost their minds. Last time I stayed there, I got a room with a king bed for $129/night. Currently they're listed at $250. The Marriott is only $229/night for a king right now so don't bother with the Key West Inn. Must have new owners that are on some kind of drugs.
Key West Inn underwent a renovation .. thus higher $$$.
I have stayed there when it was partially complete and got a decent rate.
I have stayed at the Hilton, but it is motelly and overpriced. Stayed in a canal view room with balcony, but its pointless as your neighbors window shaker pumps hot air on you. Handy to stay here if you dive with Sea Dwellers though as they tie up right there.
Mariott is nice but pricy.

I think a 5 mm in April is a bit overkill . The water temp should be
80 degrees on May 1st . Good luck and safe diving !
Sea Dwellers

Not on the artificial reefs IMO, and not if one is doing multiple dives per day, and/or deco procedures. I did a light mix on Spiegel in October in a 5mm. Surface was about 80 as you alluded, not at depth. I’m glad I brought the 5mm. If I’m going to err, a tad warmer is safer in my book. More efficient off gassing.

We stayed at the Marriott this summer. Nice place but pricy. It does have a sand beach which the kiddo liked. Next time if I travel solo or travel with diving friends, I’ll probably stay at the Courtyard as it’s right next to rainbow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom