Upgrading from Go Pro 6 to go pro 7: is it worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sbiriguda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My answer by now is: no.
Anyway, just for my understanding
Is Go Pro 7 really much better than Go Pro 6? Especially from scuba perspective, the feature that perhaps could be useful in Go Pro 7 is a new supposedly improved stabilization by using the "Hypersmooth" feature
Live streaming is only out of the water
What do you think?

I doubt it's worth it. I still have a 3+ and happy with it.

I won't be upgrading my 6 to a 7. I think it's the same cpu and lens hardware. There may be a bit more onboard Ram. The image stabilization doesn't help as much for the kind of movement you get underwater. It gets out rapid movements and vibrations like you get biking or driving ok but uw movement is slower and more difficult to distinguish from intentional movement. Just my opinion based on my results. And I'm not too impressed with most of the stabilization demos you see out there. Sure, shakiness is smoothed out but the degradation in quality is also apparent. Look at the background and how the fine details become splotchy blobs.

I have been asking myself the same question and just pulled the trigger today and ordered the 7 for an upcoming trip. The stabilization is a big plus since I struggled a bit with "shakey-cam" in my first underwater video - much of which can be attributed to user-error. Here is a side by side comparison that I found helpful in making the decision:

I am very happy with my 6 which blew me away in terms of image quality, battery life, etc. I shot footage "flat" and was able to do some significant color correction in post because the video was so rich in terms of color data. But one bummer about only having the Hero6 was shooting on land. The underwater housing obliterates the mic so to shoot on land (or on the boat), I would need to remove the camera from it's housing if I wanted to capture clean audio. To shoot a slice-of-the-dive-life video, I figured out that I needed 2 GoPros - one for land (Hero6), and one for underwater (Hero7).

Hope that's helpful.

I rented a GP7 Black to try out on a trip to Roatán. It’s pretty great. The Hypersmooth Stablization is a nice touch (especially because it works up to 60FPS in 4K). Very helpful if you shoot B reel on the boat. I was filming a nurse shark that got spooked by one of the other divers, when it shot out of the hole I jerked back. You can’t tell my backward movement was jerky on the clip, it just looks like I pulled back as it swam off.
Also a nice feature if you use the GP on a mask mount.

The way the stabilization works is by cutting off the very outside edges of the RAW footage. There is no effect on the quality of the stablized footage.

Time lapse is cool,again, for B reel on the boat, I clamped it up in the corner and ran it as we were gearing up and jumping in... hand the Cpt. Toss it to me once the last of us was off.

I returned my rental and bought one for myself

tagging along. Got new 7 and headed to oahu in a month. couple shallow reef dives and couple wreck dives. i got the backscatter flip6 also, with improved white balance do you recommend using the shallow or dive filters at depths up to 40ft? Or can the hero 6/7 compensate?

tagging along. Got new 7 and headed to oahu in a month. couple shallow reef dives and couple wreck dives. i got the backscatter flip6 also, with improved white balance do you recommend using the shallow or dive filters at depths up to 40ft? Or can the hero 6/7 compensate?

I ran the shallow filter up to 40 or 50ft. The deep filter says “50+” but I found that in deeper then 80ft you really should just leave the filter off and use a light. This was based on my experience off Roatán

Thanks Kevin,
Do u have the 7?
Ever try leaving filter on with lights?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom