Backplate Wing webbing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ZeroG

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking at getting a Halcyon BPW. I'm currently a Rescue Diver and DMC.

In rescue situation someone may need to remove my gear. I find it odd or even dangerous that shoulder straps typically do not have release clips. I know some divers carry scissors, but why not just have clips like jacket BCDs. I assume this would also make the BPW easier to get into.

I'm sure there a reason somehow related to DIR, but I just don't see why no release chips is better. Educate me.

I am a new diver. I use BPW. Standard set up without clips. No need for them. The waste strap and crotch strap take on most of the work, so I find it easy to get in and out of.
As far as rescue goes, use my knife to cut away and it’s simple to remove. I would suppose that having clips would be an extra step to remove the BPW or BCD off someone.

The clips represent a failure point. In reality, they are pretty reliable and chances of them failing are pretty low, but it is a possibility. There are "deluxe" harnesses that do have shoulder padding and quick release clips. The clip systems makes the web routing more complicated. If you've ever spent any time adjusting the length of the straps and position of the D-rings on one of these "deluxe" harnesses, you'll quickly understand what a pain they are.

If you really feel compelled to get a harness with clips, consider the Golem Gear G1 Adjustable diving harness, but chances are if you adjust it properly you won't need anything beyond a simple one-piece. The most common mistake is making the shoulder straps too tight. You should be able to get a fist under them, the crotch strap is what locks things down. You'll have a Trilobite or knife on your waist just to the left of the buckle anyway, right? I would try the Halcyon harness to start with, and if there's some issue you can't fix, then consider the G1.

(If you don't have pockets on your exposure protection, the Extreme Exposure will easily hold an SMB, spool, and Nautilus Lifeline, in addition to some weight. It will also provide a handy place to tuck a long hose under should you go that route.)

why not just have clips like jacket BCDs. I assume this would also make the BPW easier to get into.
You can have it both ways.

Add as much slack as you like to the shoulder you doff first and cinch it up with this: McMaster-Carr

With the webbing buckle open you have all the slack you want for the first shoulder, the other is not an issue. When you don the rig your final step is to close the buckle (on the loop of webbing that makes on/off easy) to cinch things up tight.

Thanks for the tips.

I still think having a quick release would be a must have by the DIR crowd. Seems a bit odd to skip a quick release because it might fail, but in an emergency have no problem taking the time to find a cutting device and then cut the patient out.

The heart of my question is not are there options, but why is a quick release not standard. What is the advantage to not have a quick release?

The other thing I like about my BCD shoulder straps is they are adjustable during the dive. Sometimes after I descend things feel a bit loose and it's nice tighten up a bit. Not a big deal but nice.

I also don't think I've ever missed not having a crotch strap. Anyone ever try a BPW without one? Seams like the waist strap would be sufficient, just like it is with a jacket style.

I've never tried a BPW, and I'm not trying to challenge the norm. I'm just asking why and get educated.

We're explaining it. Quick releases are considered a failure point, and not necessary. The crotch strap is what allows you to leave the shoulder straps loose enough to get into and out of easily. The cutting device in a standard location is easily accessible in an emergency, and the fact that the set-up is standardized means that everybody knows where it is. How you set you rig up is your choice, but there are reasons for doing it this way, developed over a number of years, just as there are reasons for the long hose, primary donate, deco/stage bottles on the left side, etc.

What's the standard location for a cutting device? Either I forgot or this was not covered during my rescue class.

Again I'm not trying to challenge the norm on this, just trying to understand why. I would like a little more than there are reasons, before I buy a BPW setup.

The webbing on the Halcyon looks very strong, how long would it take to cut thru it? Maybe other makes of webbing are thinner and easier, I've only closely looked at Halcyon.

For me, buckles and adjustability on the shoulder straps is not required, so I prefer to keep the harness simple. I can easily don and doff my gear, and in an emergency a rescuer has plenty of slack to remove my gear. Note that the stiff webbing used for DIR harnesses is a bit difficult to cut with a knife, use shears if you have them. Some divers are more comfortable with a sternum strap and/or buckles, and those divers should use what is comfortable. It's really not a big deal. The crotch strap is something that is seldom given up once tried. I would never intentionally not use one now that I've experienced the stability that it brings to the system. I suggest you try it and see if it works for you. As mentioned above, the shoulder straps should not be tight.

The standard DIR knife location is on the waist strap to the left of the buckle, as rongoodman mentioned, but that's a solution to a rare problem. Instead of adding complexity to your rig so that it would be easier to remove it in an emergency, maybe try spending an extra few minutes going over your checklists so that there is no emergency. Not to be too snarky, but emergencies like you are preparing for are extremely rare. The best way to prepare for them does not involve adding buckles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom