Advice Needed Buying Scuba Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

naui_bigfoot

Registered
Reaction score
Getting my Open Water next year and I’m currently buying fins - I wear size 15D 5mm boot I went to my LDS and I’ve tried several and only the Hollis F1 LT and Bat Fin fit. Maybe the Atomic Aquatics X1 and Blade. Problem is I plan to mainly do warm water/wet suit diving and the Hollis fins seemed to be cold water/ dry suit fins.

My LDS said because of my size 6’4” 230 pounds and super strong legs - I would rather the heavier fins to help propel my mass better in the water. Would love opinions on whether Hollis fins are a good choice for a bigger guy and warm water. I don’t have many options due to my size so I could be stuck with it.

Same size feet... and I used to dive hollis bat fins, but they're HEAVY, and negative (they pull your feet down).

A very generous man gave me a pair of Deep6 Eddy fins, size XXL. They're more 'floaty'... I trim out perfect in them...

I couldn't recommend these Deep6 fins anymore then I do... they're amazing... I don't think they're in stock currently... but maybe some of the Deep6 dealers will chime in and advise on that... BUT GET THOSE FINS!!

Thans noj3333 - I was worried about the negative boyancy because my legs are naturally negative as well. Let me take a look at these Deep6 fins. I was also looking at Mares Power Plana - they are negative as go up to US50 size

Picture below... I really LOVE these fins....

Attachments

• G2905703.jpg
    G2905703.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 117
I'm not sure how big 15D is but ForceFin makes their Pro fins up to XXXL for use with combat boots, and their Hockey up to XXL (for 10.5+ with dry boots). I've had the Pros for decades in NorCal and the tropics with soft boots, which I really like. I just got the Hockey for finer technical kick control and possibly more power. Both are expensive, but if size is problem, they are one option. Force Fin Shoe Size Conversion Chart. The Pros are basically neutral, the Hockey seem heavier. They have a 30 return policy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom