Bungee 2nd stage necklace, adds difficulty to doff in water and hand gear off to boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fastmarc

Just drifting along...
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi. I'm thinking about going this route, but for pretty much all of my diving I have to take my kit off in the water and someone lifts it into the boat. This can offer a challenge if the water is choppy, which it often is.
How much harder would it be with a bungee second stage?

Not at all. Arguably easier since you know exactly where your second is. We dive from a RHIB and ditch gear in the water. The only problem anyone has ever had is trying to get out of a continuous webbing harness.

no worse than normal. Arguably the necklace adds a more secure connection for your secondary than the octo holders do anyway since it is connected to the right shoulder d-ring with a bolt snap

If you pull the bungee necklace over your head I would just be cautious that you don't pull your mask off too. You could rig it so you can simply pull the regulator out of the bungee leaving the bungee around your neck.

I've seen two common ways to rig the bungee. Some like to zip tie the bungee to the regulator mouthpiece and some tie a small loop in the bungee to pass the mouthpiece through. I fall in the latter so in your situation I would just pull the regulator out of the bungee loop and keep the bungee in place around my neck.

If you pull the bungee necklace over your head I would just be cautious that you don't pull your mask off too. You could rig it so you can simply pull the regulator out of the bungee leaving the bungee around your neck.

I've seen two common ways to rig the bungee. Some like to zip tie the bungee to the regulator mouthpiece and some tie a small loop in the bungee to pass the mouthpiece through. I fall in the latter so in your situation I would just pull the regulator out of the bungee loop and keep the bungee in place around my neck.
Ah, that's my concern. Getting over my head and mask while being tossed around. I've never seen that second rigging before. Will have to investigate.

Ah, that's my concern. Getting over my head and mask while being tossed around. I've never seen that second rigging before. Will have to investigate.

If you're worried about that, just take it off when you are ready to leave your safety stop before you start getting bucked around at the surface

@Scuba J7 I would not recommend removing the second stage from the necklace. If you do, there is no way to secure it afterwards.

Pull the necklace over from the back of your head and it's fine.

I think there may be a misunderstanding, using my method you simply push the mouthpiece back through the loop to secure it.
This page shows both methods.
rectotec: HOW TO: TIE A REGULATOR NECKLACE

There is a third way. You drill two properly sized holes in your secondary's right and left exhaust ports. Tie a thin bungee loop between them that allows you easily grab the backup and pull it over your head and mask.

Downside of this is that you are no longer one of the 'cool kids' who can just bend their head forward and get onto their backup without using either hand. Take your pick of how to rig, but I strongly recommend a bungeed secondary, it is always right there where you expect it to be.

Donate the primary, the secondary is yours alone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom