Get the DAN insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am so sorry that your vacation took this turn. I appreciate your sharing of information. A few years ago while in Cozumel one of the friends we were diving with suffered the skin bends after the first day of diving. A rash developed on her breasts and abdomen. She has had them occur during past vacations and even consulted with a local MD who specializes in dive medicine prior to Cozumel vacation. She was tested for a PFO and result was negative. That evening while eating dinner at Guido's my friend started acting spaced out and confused. Her husband and I called Dr. Piccolo's office immediately and went straight in. By the time she exited the car her balance and coordination were compromised to the point where she looked thoroughly intoxicated. The rest of the vacation was spent getting chamber treatments. After taking a year off, she is back diving with Nitrox and very conservative profiles.

I am glad that your wife is in skilled hands. I truly believe that my friend is back 100% partly due to reading these forums which elevated our vigilance and urgency in getting treatment, as well as seeking out the right practitioner. Please keep us posted on her progress.

Which level DAN do you guys have? I’m a new OW diver an have been looking into it. I figured just go and get the $125 level but a local store said that for a new diver like myself who doesn’t dive tons could get away starting with the $40 version?

Which level DAN do you guys have? I’m a new OW diver an have been looking into it. I figured just go and get the $125 level but a local store said that for a new diver like myself who doesn’t dive tons could get away starting with the $40 version?

I'm not sure that's the way to look at it... you don't want to match the insurance level to the number of dives you do. Instead, consider how much your diving is worth to you, how much you pay for your diving already, and the coverage the DAN insurance provides. I think you'll see the $125 level has a lot of value. And look at it this way: if you never use it, you're very lucky. But if you have to use it even once... you'll be very glad you have it. There's no downside.

ps... take a look at the limits of the different levels of DAN insurance. The cheaper levels are "lifetime" limits, while the more expensive levels are "per incident" levels. BIG difference if you ever have to use it.

Thanks to everyone for the kind wishes. We'll know more about her status in a few hours but it's anticipated that she's in for more hyperbaric chamber sessions.

Hope your wife is improving. Having been a recipient of a few chamber treatments, I know DCS can be stressful. I was very pleased with the care I received at the International Hospital and how DAN handled the claim.

I have the Guardian plan. Not only does it cover "dive related" incidents, it also covers non dive related accidents that may happen while on vacation. I have used DAN several times and extremely pleased with the service.

A membership alone is $35-40 a year. It’s something like $135-$140 for the top tier insurance in the US. That’s not that expensive.

DAN Insurance is simply a no brainer for me. I get the basic insurance. I do think that it is secondary insurance meaning if you have a primary health care plan, that one takes over first.

Depends, if you only do places like Cozumel that have a chamber on island than a $40 or $75 plan MAY be OK. It depends on the accident. It may be enough to cover chamber rides and a few things. What type of primary insurance you have and what they will not pay or pay needs for dive accidents needs to be considered. Also you age and general health/fitness play into it.

If you dive an island without a chamber or live aboad or need need medical evacuating or need search and rescue ... the $125 guardian may be the way to go.

Medical evacuation is VERY expensive. Most health insurance do NOT cover dive acidents.

We do the Guardian (125).

That $125 is pretty cheap for what it offers.

I don't remember what a single chamber ride cost (5k, 10k?... someone here can update) but some DCS requires a half dozen or more rides and weeks before you can fly home.

Bottom line is it is a personal choice and up you to figure out. BL is you should get insurance.

We are at the Preferred level. We do two trips per year, so I think even the higher expense amortizes out pretty cheaply on a per dive basis.

Plus, I get to sleep better at night.

I have seen a Skin Bend (even with treatment ) turn into severe Type II the next day. Skin Bends are not to be taken lightly. Bubbles in the skin usually mean bubbles elsewhere.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom